Author Topic: dream feed  (Read 948 times)

Offline queenie34

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 04, 2006, 13:27:33 pm »
Hi there! I hope I am doing this correctly I am not the greatest at computer savy-ness. I have been reading a few of the messages and I find some of them so inspiring and helpful. I just joined so bear with me all.....
I have a question though? Should I quit my dream feed at 11:00pm seeing that my little guy just started cereal ? he is almost 5 months and eats 6 ozs of formula or is breast fed when not given a bottle. He has his cereal in the morning and in the night (1 tablespoon) along with his bottle. I was just concerned if I gave him his dream feed it may be too much food. He is like I said almost 5 months and weighs 17lbs.

Any advice ???
Queenie34

Offline calebs mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • My two favorite guys!
Re: dream feed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 20:31:57 pm »
 Don't worry about it being too much for him because he won't drink if he doesn't need it.  Also, just 2 tbls of cereal a day isn't much, so I wouldn't rush to cut out the dreamfeed.  Most usually drop the dreamfeed around 7 months when solids are well established.  And, when the dreamfeed is dropped you add in those ounces throughout the day.  It is a transition to cut the dreamfeed so that the baby gets use to taking more during the day, so as not to cause night wakings due to hunger. Tracy suggests cutting 1 oz of the dreamfeed every 3 days and adding that oz to the bottles during the day.  Also, when you cut an oz you also do the dreamfeed 30 min earlier.  So essentially the baby is getting less and less, earlier and earlier until you are done with it.   Does that make sense?  I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have more questions.
Stephanie- mom to Caleb and baby boy #2 due July 4, 2008

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: dream feed
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 20:37:19 pm »
Welcome to the boards queenie34  ;D

I just wanted to say that I agree with everything Stephanie has advised you. Tracy suggests cutting the DF at approx 7months, the reason for this is that 3 soild meals a day are usually established, THEN the dreamfeed can start to interfer with the next days bottle.

More info on DF'ing can be found here https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0
Lauren x

Offline queenie34

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 21:07:33 pm »
Thanks, so much! I agree with you because I did not give it to him last night and he woke up around 12:30 am crying hard because he was hungry. So I think I would still keep doing what I'm doing and see how that works for now.

Thanks again
Queenie34