Author Topic: Elimination diet question  (Read 1995 times)

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Elimination diet question
« on: December 04, 2006, 16:05:33 pm »
My LO is nearly 9 weeks and has eczema, a facial rash and very bad, painful wind. The rash and the eczema sometimes flare up and then are not so bad and the wind has been a problem since birrth really. I am convinced she is sensitive to something I am eating so have been following Dr Sears elimination diet for 2 days. Already there seems an improvement for all 3 problems but today her poo was very runny compared to normal, do you think this is ok? I am mainly eating rice, potatoes and turkey. I am exclusively breastfeeding. Has anyone else had these problems and found out what they are sensitive to? I have a hunch it is dairy proteins but want to be sure. Thanks  :)
Katt

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
Re: Elimination diet question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 16:23:01 pm »
Hi Skatty,

We were in the very same position as you a year ago and Sophie does have a dairy allergy. I would have thought that runny poos are normal for an exclusively bf baby. Although if you are concerned then I would get her checked out by the doctor or health visitor.

When Sophie was about 12 weeks I cut out dairy as I was willing to try anything, just for a couple of weeks. The improvements in her skin were gradual but clear. I am still bf (Sophie is now 17 months) as I don't like her having too much soya produce. I can now eat dairy in small amounts without it affecting her but I am sure she is still sensitive but it has got alot less marked over the last year.

Let us know how you get on

Claire
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 16:27:53 pm »
Runny poos are nothing unusual for a EBF baby. I'd continue with the elimination diet (the Dr. Sears one is great) for at least 2 weeks and then if you want you can follow his instructions for adding foods back in. Make sure you have whatever fruits/vegetables are allowed too!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 16:59:36 pm »
Thank you for your quick relies! She does always have runny pooh but I could actually hear them today and they sounded a bit squelchier than normal but are still mustard coloured. I'll ask my health visitor tomorrow but to be honest she's hopeless! As long as LO is putting on weight that's all that seems to matter :(

BTW I am also eating the squash and the pears  :)
Katt

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 08:30:09 am »
I just want to say its unbelievable!! I have been on the elimination diet 3 days and DD's rash is gone, her eczema looks loads better and she is getting hardly any painful wind!!

On the other habd I am spotty and getting headaches  ::) I guess this is because its like i'm on a detox but as i have a caffien free diet the headaches are a surprise. Is it normal to get these stymptons?

thanks  :)
Katt

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 12:14:11 pm »
Great news that DD is feeling better! Yes, it is normal as your body is going through detox. You may have been allergice to/intolerant of something you were eating yourself and your body is now releasing toxins. I'd think you'll feel better after a week... Keep us posted.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 16:46:15 pm »
Thanks Marisa's mama  :)

I have some more questions, sorry!

Firstly after a good couple of days my LO has been having some painful wind again. She woke at 3.30am this morniing screaming and again during her afternoon nap. I had a pear yesterday and also a jacket potao, plain but ate the skin. These are both allowed on the elimination diet so do you think it could be because of one of these? She has pooed twice today and it was darker than usual but still mustard coloured but a bit smelly and thick, do you think this could be because her little system is detoxing?

Ithink I know the answer to my next question but thought its worth a try! Am I allowed to drink decaf coffee or tea? I am so fed up with water only!

I hope someone can answer because I was feeling so positive and now feel like we have gone a step back again  :(
Katt

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 18:06:05 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response. It could be one of those things but it could also just be painful gas - unfortunately many LOs have immature digestive systems and it's something the grow out of. Have you tried gripe water for painful gas? Probiotics?

Honestly, I'm not sure about coffee - maybe check the BFing forum?

Offline skatty

• My spirited girl
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 07:44:03 am »
Thanks for the response. I actually went back to the Dr Sears site and it is normal for symptons to improve and then come back again for up to a week. She seems to be getting better again and I feel like I have a new improved baby! She is just so much happier  :)

I must admit I dread adding stuff to my diet now but yesterday I did have some carrots and added a tiny bit of sunflower oil to my food because I expressed some breast milk and although I have plenty it seemed very watery.

I'm so glad I found this site and read about the elimination diet  ;D
Katt