Author Topic: Habitual waking and the wake to sleep method  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Sungrl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My first baby girl
Habitual waking and the wake to sleep method
« on: December 04, 2006, 16:56:58 pm »
I think that my DD Zoey who is 10 weeks old may be waking habitually.  The reason I suspect this is because she ALWAYS wakes 6 hours after going to sleep for the night.  If I get her down at 8pm, she will wake at 2am.  If she doesn't go down until 8:30pm, she will wake at 2:30am.  Last week, she woke at 11:30pm (hadn't eaten much in the evening so I guess she was hungry) and was back to sleep by 12:00am.  She slept that night right through until 6am. 

I give her a dreamfeed every night at 11:00pm and she still wakes up at 2-2:30am (depending on the bedtime).  Surely she should be able to go longer than 3 hours at night without eating...especially since she proved that the other day sleeping 12-6am!  Last night when she woke at 2:30am she did not have a full feed and fell asleep at the breast.  I tried to wake her but she was out.  I suspect she would wake at the exact same time even without the dreamfeed (in which case I would think she is hungry) and I intend to try that out tonight. 

If I try to just put her back to sleep at this time she cries so I always end up just feeding her.  She doesn't take a soother so giving her one would not work (besides I think it's just as bad as feeding her).

I read in Tracy's book to try setting an alarm an hour earlier and to wake her up a bit (wake to sleep).  I wonder if anyone has ever had any success with this??  Wouldn't the dreamfeed accomplish the same thing?  Would I go in at 1-1:30am and wake her a bit even if we did an 11pm dreamfeed?

Shannon

Offline txavery

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Habitual waking and the wake to sleep method
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 17:26:37 pm »
Hi! I don't have any advice, because was about to post the same thing! I have a 9 week old that wakes every three hours through the night even though we do a dream feed and it's frustrating. Based on my friends and Tracey's book she should not need to eat twice between the dream feed and 7:00 am and in fact should be on her way to not eating at all. She cries to eat if I try to get her back to sleep as well.

Help other baby whisperer mommas! I did not have this problem with my first DD, so don't know what to do and I'm sleep deprived!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Habitual waking and the wake to sleep method
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 21:06:24 pm »
Sungrl, I haven't seen you around in a while!! Nice to see you post although I'm sorry it's in NW!  ;)  and I LOOOVE your avatar, you're both gorgeous!  :-*

Anyway, if she's waking an exact period of time from when she goes to bed, that tells me that it's a sleep cycle thing that she hasn't worked out yet. 10 weeks is still quite young, and LOs are still working things out then. Normally they work on organizing daytime sleep from 0 - 3 mo and night sleep from 3 - 6 mo. W2S is a good place to start.  :)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o