Author Topic: How much A time for 5 month old?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline dani2806

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 05, 2006, 16:10:06 pm »
My ds is 5 months and started to take 45m naps. Before he would easily do 1 -1.5h. I'm putting him down for a nap after 2h A time as he looks tired (or maybe I'm wrong and just used to an old pattern...). Do you think his A time should be extended to make the naps longer?
Lately his naps have been around 9 - 12 - 3 all for about 45m...
I'd be grateful for any suggestions. he just woke up from a nap from 3:40 to 4:20pm so I think I may put him in bed earlier, like 6:30... Do you think I'm right in doing so?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks
Dani

Offline *Kimberly*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
Re: How much A time for 5 month old?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 16:28:34 pm »
At 5 months my lo's A times were about 2.5 hours.  I also remember that it was about that time that the horrible 45min nap monster came to visit.  Instead of putting him to bed earlier we let him have another nap about 6pm and he went to bed late, around 9pm.  I am not exactly sure why we did it that way but that worked for us.  With the 45min naps I tried W2S some but I never got it to work for him.  After a couple of weeks he went back to taking the longer naps and then by about 6-6.5 months he dropped to two naps. 

Is your lo on a 4 hour EASY?

Kimberly

Offline dani2806

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 16:44:32 pm »
Thank you Kimberly! Someone who knows what I'm going through!
I was told by some of the moderators that it's better to put them in bed earlier rather than adding another nap but I'm not sure if a later bedtime following a fourth nap would be a bad idea either.
But how did you do it? Did you put your lo down for that last nap and woke him up or he just woke up after 45m?
As for the 4hr easy, I'm not really managing... Because of the 45m naps  I end up feeding him between the naps. If I don't, he may  be hungry just before he gets tired and he'll sleep at the bottle...
Did you stick to the 4 hour easy anyway when you had this problem?

Dani

Offline sue

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 17:04:40 pm »
We just went through something similar with Evie.  Her awake times were always too short and so I worked on extending them to 1.5 hours at the same time I started extending her naps.  What really helped for me was to see what time she woke up then write down the time of her first feed.  Then I would write down the rest of the times for feeds based on a 3 hour schedule which is what we were trying to acheive (you would do this for 3.5 or 4 hours probably since most 5 month olds can handle 2 hours of awake time but Evie couldn't at first).  So if she woke up and ate at 7am, I would write down, feed times of 7, 10, 1, 4, and 7pm.  Then I had an easier time keeping track and keeping her on schedule.  So to start, I was trying to keep her awake for 1.5 hours.  She'd wake up and eat at 7am, then I'd know she must be asleep by 8:30 or else she would be too fussy (if late) or not tired enough (if early).  If your little one takes longer to settle, you have to keep that in mind and work it into the activity time so you are not putting them in the crib too late.  Once asleep, I watched for the 45 min mark and was there to pat/shush her back to sleep, knowing that I had until the next feed to get some good sleep in.  So I'd be saying to myself, she's awake and it's only 9:15 but she doesn't eat until 10 so we have time to get some more sleep in (rather than getting her up and dealing with tired baby or feeding too soon).  I tried wake to sleep to extend the naps but it didn't work for us.  That's why I did the pat/shush.  She would often wake up all smiles but I knew she hadn't had enough sleep if it was only 20-45 mins.  So I would put one hand on her tummy and the other sort of under her legs (I found by trial and error that this position is what worked for us since she couldn't push her bum up off the crib like a crab and scoot around which just kept her from settling) and I would close my eyes and say "shhhh, shhhh, shhhh".  She always fussed and fought and cried for a bit but then she would settle and go back to sleep.  I think it took about half an hour the first time and then gradually got less and less until now she often doesn't even need me in there, she just puts herself back to sleep.  Of course, any sound or interruption makes you have to start all over, but as long as you are consistant, it pays off.  The reason I had to finally do this was because her short naps were interferring with her nighttime sleep all of a sudden.  I'm happy to say the last three days she has had 1hour to 1.5 hour naps with very little intervention on my part and has slept through the night all three nights! :)
Hope that helps (keep in mind you would be working toward a 3.5 or 4 hour schedule though- we'll be doing that next.)
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006

Offline *Kimberly*

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 17:30:26 pm »
Dani- Yes, I just made sure that the last nap was only 45 minutes or so.  I would wake him up so that he would be okay to go to bed by 9pm or so.  It was not the best plan but it did work for us.  Eventually he dropped that nap and the afternoon nap turned into a catnap which he eventually dropped.

I stuck with the 4 hour routine when it came to food but I allowed some odd sleeping during this time so that he wasn't so cranky.  The thing I found that worked the best was to start every day at the same time and with the best intentions.  This way no matter how odd the day before was, at least he was starting off the day on a routine.

Kimberly

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 17:37:12 pm »
Hi Dani
sorry to hear you are still having crazy naps and bedtimes  ::)
For today, if it were me I would put lo to bed early, say 6.30, as our usual bedtime is 7 anyway. At 5 months dd was starting to stay awake 2.5 hours between naps with ease. Some naps were a lovely 1.5 hours, some were 45mins. Naps finally settled down into lovely consistent 90 minutes each at around 5.5 - 6 months of age.
Quote (selected)
The thing I found that worked the best was to start every day at the same time and with the best intentions.  This way no matter how odd the day before was, at least he was starting off the day on a routine
Absolutley agree with Kimberley- if we had a really difficult day I would just decide once she was in bed to write it off and start tomorrow afresh. I think that's what kept me sane!
You are going through a horrible time, dropping the catnap can be an awful transition period. I can promise it is sooo much easier once it is gone for good so it will get better, just hang on in there xxxxx
]

Offline dani2806

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 18:48:04 pm »
thanks girls! I don't know how I could make it without everyone's help.
I just put my lo in bed, at 6:40pm, it feels right so it may be right. I'll try to extend his A time tomorrow.
I will also try to start the days at the same time. Well,  I've always tried to do this but my lo may wake anytime from 5 to 6:30... How can you do it?
For example today he woke at 5:30 and was ok in his cot. I only picked him up at 6:40 and managed to feed at 7. But this was today, it changes all the time.
I long for the day when I'll have to wake him!