Author Topic: Stands in crib and screams  (Read 726 times)

Offline loki_31

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 05, 2006, 19:17:44 pm »
Hi,
My little guy (9 months) has figured out how to pull himself into standing in his crib.  While this is great, the screaming that has come along with it needs to stop!  He has never been a great sleeper..he had a paci addiction and constant ear infections after that.  He got tubes and I know he is healthy (besides the 4 teeth coming in on top!).  He used to be so easy to put back to sleep when he would wake, we would hear him wake up and most often he would just chatter and go back to sleep (when he was not sick with ear infections).  Now it is a different story, he will scream and scream and takes forever to get back down.  We will rub his back until he falls back to sleep and it works, just takes a long time.
I am thinking this is just developmental since he has just learned how to pull himself up.  Have others gone through this and have any advice?  Just stick it out until it passes?  He knows how to fall asleep himself.  Naps are not an issue because he naps in his pack n play, which he can't stand up in.  We are debating just having him sleep in that, but I think that is postponing the issue.
thanks!

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: Stands in crib and screams
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 19:50:32 pm »

do u think maybe it could be seperation anxiety?

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline loki_31

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 20:01:07 pm »
possibly, he doesn't exhibit any anxiety yet during the day though- goes fine to daycare and does not care who is holding him.  Possibly just at night?  But then he sleeps fine in his pack n play, will cry out a little bit but settles himself right back down.  When he is in the crib and wakes up I think he cannot resist the challenge of standing up and then maybe is not sure how to get back down?  Although when we go in and get him down, he still screams for awhile while we rub his back..so I don't think it is that he is stuck and can't get back down.  I don't know..maybe partial separation, partial new trick to practice?

Offline macsmum

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 20:25:42 pm »

could well be that he can now stand have u tried a sleep sack my ds has one and hasnt figured out how to stand up in it yet ;D
how is lo when dh puts him to bed my ds is so much better when dh puts him down that he does it every night now ;D

Emma

andibig

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 20:29:56 pm »
Spooky - theres another post about the same thing. i think the problem is as you said he can get himself up but can't work out how to get back down. have you tried to show him how to get back down. ie hold his hands and see if he will sit on his bum etc

Offline loki_31

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 22:21:46 pm »
I was just thinking of trying the sleepsack tonight, we used to use it quite a bit but just stopped a few weeks ago since he was doing great for naps without it and was also doing good at night without it.  Time to bring it back out :).
It might very well be that he is not sure how to get down (although when we put him down he will scream for awhile still as we are rubbing his back)  During the day when he stands up he just falls on his butt and does not think twice about it, but I guess nighttime is different for him.  I think it is a touch of separation anxiety as well.  He is a bit better going down for his dad, if he is really tired I can rub his back to sleep but most of the time I result in more screaming if I do not pick him up.  Dad can usually settle him down much faster.  Time for more daddy duty I believe!!!

Offline macsmum

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 16:16:21 pm »

oh yes if in doubt send daddy in ;D
hope things improve gor u tonight :-*