Author Topic: wake to sleep for 8 month old??  (Read 862 times)

Offline ethan's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 05, 2006, 19:40:10 pm »
does wake to sleep work for an 8 month old? do they need to wake at exactly the same time every night in order for this to work? i'm confused as to how to go about it...any guidance would be great!!

for the last few nights, ds has been asleep by 7pm, woken up at 10:30/11pm (last two nights i've fed him...first night breastfed and last night 9oz bottle of formula which he gobbled up), and then again at 4/4:30am (again, breastfed first night at 5am b/c he wasn't settling and then 9oz formula this morning at 5am...then he slept till 8:30am both mornings...really messing up our EASY routine!). however, it's not always these times. a few nights ago he woke 3-4 times and i only fed him around 4/5am...the other times we picked him up and he fell right back asleep. shh/pat no longer works and pu/pd doesn't seem to work either...it ticks him off even more and he really starts wailing.

it's not just a mantra cry either, it starts as that and then escalates into full crying/screaming. i don't figure it's a growth spurt b/c it's been going for a long time now and every growth spurt he's had has been a few days at most. this has been over a month now.

he used to sleep 11-12 hours at night so what's going on???

thanks,
jenny

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: wake to sleep for 8 month old??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 19:45:20 pm »
was lo sleeping through before all this?

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline ethan's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 19:51:00 pm »
oops, sorry...just noticed i was supposed to answer some questions.

here you go:

How old is your child? - 8 months tomorrow

What’s his/her daily routine? on a GOOD day (haven't had one in a LONG time), it's:
7am - wake and breastfeed
8am - 5-6tbsp cereal, 1-2tbsp fruit
11am - breastfeed (but i'm slowly switching this to formula; haven't done so yet)
12pm - 1 small jar veggies, 1 small jar fruit (nutrios or mum mums if still hungry and sometimes water)
3pm - 6oz formula (just switched over from bf as i'm slowly starting to wean)
4pm - 1 small jar veggies with protein, 1 small jar fruit, 3-4tbsp cereal if still hungry
7pm - breastfeed and bed

What’s nap routine? 1-2 hours in morning (around 9/10am if a good day), 45 minutes in the afternoon (anywhere from 3-5pm) - 2 naps per day

What's bedtime routine? Time? - bath, books, breastfeed, bed by 7pm (sometimes a little later but never later than 7:30 - depends on what time his last nap is)

Do you bottle or breastfed?? both now

How much? or how long? he bf's off both sides, anywhere from 5-10 minutes total

How many wakes per night? 2 lately where he starts crying but wakes numerous other times and gets himself back to sleep

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? first wake up is usually less than 10 minutes but second one can be up to 1.5 hours! but on other days second one can be 10 minutes too. he's all over the place right now!

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? crying

What have you tried to settle?? yes - but we've started picking him up as he turns himself over and lifts his head to look up at you and if you try anything else, the crying/screaming escalates

What do you do for A time and how long is it? - read books, play with toys, exer-saucer, jolly jumper some days, swim lessons 2x/week, baby sign language 1x/week

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? - teething (i think) although he still has NO TEETH at 8 months old!

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? - no, we took the soother away when he was 5 months old. it took about a week for him to transition but he was back to sleeping through the night on his own no problem.

Do they have a lovie? - yes, a soft little green blanket with an animal head

Offline ethan's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 19:56:05 pm »
he always used to sleep 10-12 hours. we noticed the first change in august when we went away for a week. i think he was teething a lot then (very red cheeks!) and he was sleeping in his playpen so new surroundings, etc.

then we went to maui last month for a week and he was pretty good but woke most mornings at 4am (which is 7am our time...even though he went to sleep at 7pm maui time, which is 10pm our time. weird!). then he was great for a week or so and then everything fell apart again. we've recently moved into my mom's house for a month so i know that's a big change (our new place is still being built) but the night wakings started before we moved here so i can't even attribute it to that. i'm soooo confused!

:)

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: wake to sleep for 8 month old??
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 20:23:23 pm »

My first thought is he has to be teething and if he hasnt any teeth yet then he is probably got a few coming together? have u tried giving pain meds before bed?
This is my routine and has been since about 8 months so may give u an idea?
7am wake 8oz bottle
8am breakast(large jar porridge equivelant)
10am sleep 1.5 hrs
11.30 ish lunch 1 large jar and 1 small desert
1.30 8oz bottle
2.30pm sleep nearly 2 hrs
4pm tea equivalent 1 large jar and 2 small yoghurts.
6pm bath and 8oz bottle
7-7.30 bed

does that help u any?
I think a little more sleep at the pm nap may help u as lo will get overtired, meaning his sleep at night will be more restless

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.