Author Topic: one week old - restless or short sleep - gas??  (Read 3638 times)

Offline tara72

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
one week old - restless or short sleep - gas??
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:26:01 am »
we have a one week old (well, 9 days to be exact!) who had a difficult time falling asleep and sleeping for long periods of time last night and today. we sort of think she might have a tummy or gas problem. she has been a really good baby and her cries seem uncomfortable more than anything. she would also tense up sometimes while sleeping and wimper a little before generally going back to sleep.

we didn't notice any of this last night, but mostly today, since we spent much of the day with her in our arms in a rocking chair. she slept almost all day and hasn't had a lot to eat this afternoon-evening (today I've been waking her to eat every 3 hours if she doesn't wake before then).

oh, and we have been using the pacifier quite a bit today. she hasn't really accepted it before, especially if she is hungry, but today she has used it quite a bit as a soother. we read somewhere that a pacifier can help with gas, which is why we think that might be a problem.

I know it sounds horrible to be sleeping with her in our arms in a chair, but she sleeps the best like this, since it seems like she is having some discomfort in her little body somewhere. we of course don't want to make a habit of this, and will see how she sleeps tonite. although I put her down in her crib (after a short feeding) for the first time today, we are prepared for a potential night of rocking with her if necessary to help her to sleep if it seems like she is still uncomfortable.

any thoughts?? suggestions?? I am quite at a loss for what to do in a situation like this. can you tell it's our first child?? ;) thanks in advance for any help!

edit: here are some answers to the questions that were recommended we answer in our post about my LO:
she is 9 days old, so still a newborn.
What’s his/her daily routine? working on a 3 hour routine, but it consists mostly of sleeping and eating every 2-3 hours right now.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? breastfeed
How much? or how long?  I try for 20-40 minutes on one side, but she doesn't always want that much.
How many wakes per night? anywhere between 2 on a good night and 4 or 5 on a not-so-good night (which we are trying to figure out)
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? sometimes she'll go back to bed after eating, but sometimes she's up for an hour and hard to put back to sleep (though very content, she just won't close those eyes!)
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? I don't know what a mantra cry is, but we usually catch her when her whimpers turn into a cry.
What have you tried to settle?? we often try to settle, unless it's time for a feeding.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? lately, we are discovering that just diaper changing is an activity, so that is sometimes it, unless we look around at stuff too (if she's awake enough to do so)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? I don't think so, though the paci has become soothing to her today for mainly the first time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 03:32:17 am by tara72 »
[IMG=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg[/img]
Mommy of Savannah and Ashleigh

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: one week old - restless or short sleep - gas??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 16:56:29 pm »
Tara, have you spoken to the ped/doc about this?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline tara72

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 23:00:17 pm »
I haven't yet, since our 2-week appointment isn't until next week, but I suppose I could call him, right? I guess I haven't thought of it, really, since I'm not used to having a pediatrician. I also thought I'd see how she's doing the next day and night. last night, she was a little restless again, but today she has generally been better. she's eaten better and slept well until the nap she is currently taking (she is on her tummy, since that seems to ease her little discomforts...I know it's bad, but we are watching her closely!).

if it doesn't improve, we may try calling the doctor tomorrow. thank you for the suggestion!
[IMG=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg[/img]
Mommy of Savannah and Ashleigh

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 23:07:57 pm »
When my DS was a newborn he was much the same. His "systems" had trouble getting up and going, so he was constipated a lot and he also had reflux. Not that I think you have the same problems necessarily, after all newborns are newborns, KWIM? But all the same I do think that you should keep the ped apprised in case things are not progressing and getting going with your DD the way they should.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o