Author Topic: How do LOs survive toddlerhood?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
How do LOs survive toddlerhood?
« on: December 08, 2006, 15:53:27 pm »
I am just wondering if anyone else has an LO whose lower legs are black and blue from tripping and falling constantly as they are learning to walk? Plus, it seems like if there is any way for my DS to bang his head on anything at all, he manages to do it. This morning alone, he has already banged his head on the kitchen table, pulled out a drawer in the kitchen and banged his head on that, and finally...tripped on some books he had on the floor and went forehead first into the edge of the futon (and bit his tongue in the process). So there is no blood anywhere except from the tongue, and his head doesn't have any swelling, and he is not showing any signs of a concussion...but...how much more of these trips and falls can their little bodies take??? I just want to dress him up like the Michelin man until he is about 4 and has mastered the art of walking and running. Short of that, and short of wrapping all of our furniture and cabinets in bubble wrap, is there anything I can do???

Offline sue

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
Re: How do LOs survive toddlerhood?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 16:00:48 pm »
Don't worry, he'll survive!  I never thought mine would, but he did! :)  I don't know how many times I reminded myself, "What doesn't kill 'em just makes 'em stronger." ;) ;D
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 17:47:10 pm »
I love the new picture of Ethan!

DS is also CONSTANTLY bumping, tripping into things.  His legs are covered with black and blue marks and his hands and fingers are always scratched up.  He used to slam his fingers in drawers all the time.  I was so sure he was going to lose a finger!!

All you can do is make sure anything sharp is put away and maybe pad the corners of coffee tables, fireplaces etc. 

Otherwise, just be there it comfort and cuddle him when he falls!!!   ;)
Judy

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 17:47:22 pm »
I don't think your question should be 'how do LOs survive toddlerhood?', more how do mums survive it!  I expect the doorbell to ring every day with a visit from social services!!
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 19:15:06 pm »
I don't think your question should be 'how do LOs survive toddlerhood?', more how do mums survive it!  I expect the doorbell to ring every day with a visit from social services!!

Yup I always think people must be convinced I beat my child as she's managed to give herself black eyes on more than one occassion.  ::)

Offline moczarna

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Antonina's mom from Poland
    • moczarna's blog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 13:08:08 pm »
Hi, my baby is 8 month and has just started to stand up. After she stands up she falls down and cry. So I am always nearby  :-\  and stand by to catch the falling down baby. I know that it can't go on for ages and she has to learn on her own to stand, to walk and my help hinders surely but I am afraid of letting her go. I can't do anythink else because I have to follow my baby step by step.

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 13:27:46 pm »

Johno has a lovely bruise on his leg at the moment.  My friend asked him how he did it and he said he fell off his ladder!  He has a one step stool he uses to clean teeth, wash hands etc!
Jenny

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 01:10:23 am »
Hi, my baby is 8 month and has just started to stand up. After she stands up she falls down and cry. So I am always nearby  :-\  and stand by to catch the falling down baby. I know that it can't go on for ages and she has to learn on her own to stand, to walk and my help hinders surely but I am afraid of letting her go. I can't do anythink else because I have to follow my baby step by step.

Have you tried putting pillows around her so she'll fall on a soft surface?  She'll figure it out eventually - also, watch how you react when she falls - you can just give her a cheery - "Did you fall?  Up you go!" and she'll get that it's not a big deal when she falls (unless of course she really does hurt herself).

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 02:27:16 am »
Riley has so far only had one split lip and the odd bruise on her forehead from falling down. SHe saw a chiropractor for a mis-shapen head thing from 3 to 6 months of age (head shape fine now) and our chiropractor recommended she come in at 18 months for a once over, her reasoning was that all the falling down can cause the spine to misalign and chiro at 18 months may protect against future back problems.

Not sure if that's true or whether it should be put in the same box as crawling therapy for older kids who went straight to walking but we are happy to give it a go.

Soph
Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents

Offline moczarna

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • moczarna's blog
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 08:03:50 am »
Quote (selected)
Have you tried putting pillows around her so she'll fall on a soft surface?  (unless of course she really does hurt herself).

It's a good idea. I should think about buying a crash helmet, too  ;)

Quote (selected)
(unless of course she really does hurt herself)

There is a problem. She is very active and crawl to and fro. She stands up when the opportunity occurs f.e. by a chair, by a wall, by TV table...When I do not manage to catch her, she is falling down on her face.
The number of bruises is still increasing, particularly on her forehead. Can the baby figure out that there is a gravitation on the world or she is too young?  ;) Maybe I should let her go and let her heart herself to teach how the gravitation works?

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 08:31:57 am »
Scotty is so careful that he doesn't hurt himself at all! I think I must be lucky... He is crawling fast, starting to walk and getting into exciting games. When he crawls towards the table he stops right in front of it and never bumps his head on it...

He also walks up stairs but doesn't try to go down yet, he thinks he might fall so he doesn't do it...

Jealous?

Offline moczarna

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • moczarna's blog
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 08:56:20 am »
Quote (selected)
When he crawls towards the table he stops right in front of it and never bumps his head on it...
How have you taught it him? :)

Quote (selected)
jealous?
Yes, I do.  ;)

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 09:01:42 am »
I didn't teach him. I was like that at that age. Now I am Mrs Clumsy though

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 03:13:04 am »
My LO did the same thing with closing her fingers in the drawer - ouch  :(

Offline GabrielleD

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 16:09:32 pm »
Stacy,

I looked away from DS for a second this morning, and guess what...he stood up on the wood kitchen chair and fell over...I don't know which of us was more scared. Thankfully, he is not hurt and was scared more than anything. But I am curious to see if he will try to climb up on the kitchen chair again?!

Stefi,

Great picture of Scotty..He looks a lot like his grandfather in that picture...I've missed your posts.. :)