Author Topic: crawling and intelligence  (Read 4378 times)

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
crawling and intelligence
« on: December 09, 2006, 14:55:27 pm »
I have been told by one person who is a teacher that there is a link between crawling and reading. The more a baby crawls the better readers they are in the future.  She says that there are studies done in regards to this topic.  My MIL also told me that crawling babies are more intelligent.  And another person told me that his daughter was recently diagnosed with very mild autism and he blames himself because he did not let her crawled when she was a baby.  I do not believe the link of autism with crawling, but I find the rest interesting.  Does anyone know anything about this?

Offline Karin3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: crawling and intelligence
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 15:21:55 pm »
I don't have any links but I've read a lot of conflicting information in regards to crawling & brain development.  I think the most important thing is that the lo wants to get around and becomes mobile in some way by the time they are 10-12 months.  In many indigenous cultures, I know they don't give their LOs tummy time, so they don't usually crawl.  I think there are things that you can do if lo doesn't crawl in order to stimulate the coordination between the 2 sides of the brain also if you're concernced.  I'm not sure what those activities are though. 
Karin
Stepmom to Caroline, 10 years old

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 15:30:10 pm »
I've heard both as well -- some people definitely believe that there is a link between crawling and later intelligence, some people don't believe that at all -- I know that Deb had some info on that, we'll have to see if she finds this post.  Deb, are you out there?

Offline hoosiermama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • Moms of little boys work from son up to son down.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 15:52:44 pm »
I am a teacher and I have heard the same thing.  I teach "high risk" students (students who have low incoming to kindergarten test scores) and a lot of the parents will tell me that their child didn't crawl.  The only thing that I have heard (from an occupational therapist) is to crawl with them.  Even if they are already walking, make it a game and let them crawl.

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 18:23:20 pm »
I am no expert but can only speak from my experience- I never crawled (and was very late walking). I was reading by age 3 and at 7yrs old had a reading age of 15yrs at assessment. To this day I am still a massive bookworm and drive dh mad at the speed I read. I am not saying the medical evidence is wrong, just that it's not necessarily true for every baby!
]

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 18:42:46 pm »
Kathrynk ~ your reply is re assuring , Ryan never crawled untill after walking at 17 months .He got around by bottom shuffling but not untill he was 13 months .I too have read Deb's posts on brain development and crawling .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 18:55:00 pm »
Ryan's mum- I am glad to have reassured a bit! DD is 11 months and still not moving but I have been reassured myself by my HV who says she is just a chip off the old block.......
]

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 19:01:32 pm »
all of this is very interesting.

tstasko

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 20:04:25 pm »
I completely agree w/Kathrynk's post.....I too NEVER crawled - I rolled everywhere  ;D, and my mom was really concerned that i had no interest in crawling as she had heard the same thing - however  I was walking at 9.5 months  :o, speaking in complete sentences at 14 months, and reading very very early.  I also skipped a grade in elementary school and am an avid reader.  I was extremely active in sports and achieved both academic and athletic success in college.
Now that you have my resume'....lol... ;D
I too don't want to debunk any medical studies with just my own humble experience.  I'm sure there are circumstances that do link delayed crawling/no crawling and reading - but seriously my mother would roar w/laughter at that as reading was and is such a HUGE part of my life.

Very Interesting though!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 20:12:13 pm by scarlett'smom »