Author Topic: TV time  (Read 3944 times)

Offline M2W

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Re: TV time
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 05:27:10 am »
Oh and we always say "bye bye tv" when it's time to turn it off...95% of the time he's AOK with it...Barney seems to be the only program that might get tears on that remaining 5%. ;) But most of the time he can say "bye bye Barney...see ya later" and be AOK :)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 05:00:12 am »
I generally give warnings -- "After Sesame Street (or Wiggles) are over, then TV is all done" - and then when it's over, turn it off and don't turn it back on.

Ah... I haven't tried setting that expectation. Will have to try it. What I have been doing is when the show is over, I tell her "all done" and turn off the TV. Then she whines for more. I wonder if she would understand me if I tell her that TV is all done after the show is over. Probably, I guess. At 20 months, I have noticed that she understands a lot of what we're saying ... maybe not exactly what we're saying, but the gist of it. Whenever my mom announces that she's leaving, she seems to pick up on the phrase, and says, "mama?" (her word for pick me up), in an effort to keep her grandma there.

Omigosh, she actually turns off the TV when you ask her to??? Wow.

Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 05:01:29 am »
Oh and we always say "bye bye tv" when it's time to turn it off

Now that's a nifty trick. Hadn't thought of that one. I usually tell her "all done", like I do when mealtime is finished. I'll have to try "Bye bye Wiggles" ...

Marie

Offline M2W

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 05:24:16 am »
Oh and we always say "bye bye tv" when it's time to turn it off

Now that's a nifty trick. Hadn't thought of that one. I usually tell her "all done", like I do when mealtime is finished. I'll have to try "Bye bye Wiggles" ...

Yeah they know & understand 90% of what we are saying now...so I feel they understand when a show is over...well I know they do...Weston is 18 months and when the I LOVE YOU song comes on Barney or the words start to come up on a program he starts to say "over""over""over""over""over""over" (until I come and say I'll start it again or it's time to say "bye bye") 

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 19:38:40 pm »
When I turn off the TV, I usually tell him the TV's going to take a nap. I figure, at almost 9 mos old, he understands that you do stuff for a while (play, eat, etc), then you get tired and take a nap.
- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 05:56:30 am »
When I turn off the TV, I usually tell him the TV's going to take a nap. I figure, at almost 9 mos old, he understands that you do stuff for a while (play, eat, etc), then you get tired and take a nap.

LOL... but what about my LO who is still resistant to naps?  I only got a 20 minute nap out of her today, sigh....

Marie

Offline hawkeye1315

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 13:20:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!  I think I will be starting 20 min of TV in the new year.  Any suggestions on some good DVDs?  My DS loves songs and dancing. 

Happy Holidays Everyone!  ::)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 18:45:26 pm »
Katie loves Baby Einstein though it's not much on the singing and dancing.  I know there's a ton of Sesame Street videos out there and my nephews love the Wiggles, lots of singing and dancing there.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 19:23:52 pm »
We started out with some of the Baby Einstein DVDs, some she liked, some she didn't seem as interested in. It also depends on what age you show them. Something she didn't like at first, she ended up liking a couple months later. Now at 20 mos, she really doesn't like Baby Einstein as much ... a bit too mellow for her I guess, after getting addicted to The Wiggles. She loves to play with the DVDs, opening the cover, pulling the DVD out, pushing it back in. I just hope she never scratches The Wiggles DVD, she will be one upset baby when she can't watch that one if it gets damaged...

Marie

tstasko

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 20:42:12 pm »
I've heard of the Wiggles - my friend's 2 year old LOVES them!

I too give a thumbs up to the Baby Einstein DVDs.  That's the only thing we allow right now, and still only every once in a while.  I don't know if it's coincendence or because she is a total Water-baby (loves the ocean, swimming pool, has been jumping in the pool right under water (with mommy or daddy there to help her up of course!) for about 2 months in her swim class!  :o) but the Baby Neptune one she goes crazy with.  Giggles, wide eyed, coos.  It's the only trick I can use to clip her nails - I do all her fingers and toes, I can sometimes check her teeth - especially the molars to see how they are coming..lol... and she is pretty oblivious.  I also steal major hugs and cuddles when it's on.   ;D 

I like that it's not constantly flashing, and they move slowly in and out of the screen, and of course no commercials. 

HTH
ts

Offline M2W

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 21:44:46 pm »
Sesame Street has been proven in various independent studies that it does in fact actually help teach letters, numbers, etc...so if you're child's into Sesame Street that would be an excellent choice...as for us, Weston isn't really into sitting still for Sesame Street :( but Watch out if the big purple dino comes out...Barney will put him into the "TV Trans!" LOL

He will tolerate Wiggles for a short while...but I wouldn't buy any for him just yet, because they aren't something he loves.

Weston will sit for Barney (a for sure thing for him) Rolie Polie Olie and Teletubbies but mostly just Barney...RPO is  close second...Teletubbies were a 'before thing' but I think he's outgrowing them now???