Author Topic: Starting EASY - Preemie born at 24 wks  (Read 940 times)

Offline catherinb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 11, 2006, 16:59:51 pm »
Hi

My son is currently 20 weeks old, but 4 weeks corrected age as he was born at 24 weeks. He has had a hard road, but finally came home after 14 weeks. He is home 6 weeks now and doing great.

Luke was in a 4 hr routine when he came home from hos, he has pretty much stayed in it. I feed him every 4 hrs during the day and then the last feed is 3 hrs from 8-11. He is generally sleeping from 12 until 4-5.

Do you think it is worth going to 3 hr feeds or should I just work around the 4 hrs?

thanks for your help!

Offline Elisabeth and Victorias mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
  • My baby sister, cute!!!
Re: Starting EASY - Preemie born at 24 wks
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 17:14:17 pm »
I had the same trouble bringing my dd home- she was a preemie and was on 4 hr feeding in  nicu and when I brought her home and discovered baby whispereer I change her routine completly and it wrecked havoc on her.  I would suggest stayiing on the 4 hr easy if it is working because in a short time you will be going to 4 hour easy anyway.  If your son is hungry before 4 hours just feed him earlier, always read his clues/signs to show you what he needs.  Sorry I could be aof any more use.
u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]  []

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 19:34:51 pm »
Hi, mine were born 12 weeks early, they were in NICU for 9 weeks. They were on a 4 hour routine in hospital but promptly went back to 3 hourly when we got home and stayed there for almost a year!
Does he want feeding more often?
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline catherinb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:43:55 am »
Thanks for your replies! Hope your little ones are doing well!

No he isn't looking for food any earlier, he just seems to be in between all routines. He is nearly 5 weeks corrected now and is in some ways more and some ways less. so just trying to figure out what works for him!

Our main prob is wind, he has so much of it. I changed onto Dr Brown bottles and giving him infacol before feed, but he is waking up suddenly from his naps screaming. I can never seem to get everything up. We have recently changed from the prebottled formula - Nutraprem 2 to the powder formula, I am wondering if this is making a diff as he seems worse lately, I can hear his stomach making all sorts of noises.

Sorry for the long post, just hate seeing him in pain after everything he has been through.

Thanks!

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 22:42:45 pm »
We were on Nutraprem 2 as well.  The powdered stuff has a slightly different make up to it.  It is thicker. The pre-made stuff is made differently - I think it is to do with softened water, although we were told not to use artificially softened water to make up our feeds.
I also found that when made with equal amounts of milk and water it made the babies slightly constipated. I got round this by adding an extra ounce of water to the milk and they were fine.
Have you ruled out relfux? 
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)