Author Topic: Chocolate  (Read 1034 times)

Offline loganbug

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Chocolate
« on: December 11, 2006, 22:29:14 pm »
Does anyone know when it's okay to start giving a baby chocolate? My son's first birthday is coming up and I'm worried his aunties will try to slip him some chocolate ice cream (I've had to fight them on not giving him sweets since he was about 3 months old). We give him little treats now that he's older, but I keep seeing women giving their 8 months old chocolate and I thought that it was too hard on their little tummies. Anyone know for sure?

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 01:48:15 am »
Umm, I kinda gave my refluxer chocolate when she was about 9-10 months old.  (Slightly ashamed now!)  It was chocolate ice milk, so not to harsh.  She had a chocolate cake for her b-day.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline sue

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 01:53:37 am »
Noah had a chocolate cake for his first birthday too.
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 02:32:56 am »
Ds#2 was 10mo last Easter & I'd set up an egg hunt for ds#1 & step-d on our deck area & was inside making lunch while dh picked up dstep-d (with ds#1) & I thought ds#2 was awfully quiet & went out to find he'd eaten (sucking through the foil) at least 4 mini eggs... didn't seem to bother his tummy one bit  & I'd managed to wait until ds#1 was 21 months before he tasted chocolate
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 03:48:26 am »
I don't know if it has to do with tummy aches. Our 'food guide' for LO's says to avoid chocolate until 1 year old and in smaller print says "try to avoid all sweets as long as possible, if possible". So I assume it is more that they don't want a LO to get a sweet tooth too soon since their tastebuds are super sensitive. If it is a fear that your LO may get a sweet tooth (that is the case here! - family of chocoholics), maybe start with dark chocolate - it is more bitter.
~Keri~

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 04:34:50 am »
I waited until after the one year mark.  Lilah actually LOVES superdark chocolate (like the 70%+ cocoa content kind-- she has good taste!).  For those with a family history of food allergies, I think the recommendation is to wait till age two on chocolate, otherwise, wait till one year.

I made a carrot cake for Lilah's first birthday; I didn't want to leave out all the other kids who were not yet a year old at her party, plus I figured it was the first time ever she was having cake at all; it didn't need to be chocolate on top of that.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline sue

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 12:50:23 pm »
mmmmm dark chocolate.  my favourite! ;D