Author Topic: Does anyone have experience with casein intolerance?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Does anyone have experience with casein intolerance?
« on: December 13, 2006, 01:55:04 am »
A little history:

My son Ben was bottlefed from 2 weeks on. We gave him Enfamil A+ until 6 months. He had a really bad rash patch on his chest for months. Our GP was treating it as ringworm, then finally referred us to a paed. The paed confirmed it was eczema and suggested switching Ben's formula to GoodStart - she suspected the eczema was related to a possible casein intolerance. We did switch, and after clearing up the eczema with cortizone cream it never returned.

In the meantime, I tried Ben out with little bits of dairy... cheese, yogurt, etc. (yes, I know casein is a cow's milk protein) and he didn't have a problem... no eczema. After a couple of months being eczema-free I thought maybe he'd outgrown the intolerance, switched him back to Enfamil A+, and after a few weeks the eczema returned.

I should also note that Ben did not have any other obvious side effects and his bowel movements suggest that his digestion was unaffected.

And finally, my questions:

Is this an intolerance I can expect him to outgrow? Is it possible that Ben is reacting to something in that particular formula as opposed to the casein protein?

Thanks IA. If there are any gaps, please ask and I'll happily fill them in. :)

P.S. I will be speaking to Ben's GP about this and ask for a referral to the paed again to clarify further, but thought I'd start asking questions in advance.

Offline ks6

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
Re: Does anyone have experience with casein intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:57:21 am »
Have you read the thread for Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) in the Food Allergy section?  It has a lot of information that might be relevant to you, I think.  It helped us quite a bit.  And yes, intolerances can be outgrown.  :)  I'm sure there's someone around with better answers for you, though.

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Re: Does anyone have experience with casein intolerance?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:53:51 am »
Thanks, Kim. I guess I should get myself comfy and read through that thread. :)