Author Topic: Egg white allergy?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
Egg white allergy?
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:00:45 am »
Ben had been eating egg yolk for a few months with no problem. I tried him on whole eggs at 11 months (I figured 11 months vs. 12 months - no biggie), but he reacted. Red rash and small hives around the mouth. The rash and hives were gone in about a half hour. No other obvious side effects.

My understanding is that this isn't uncommon and that he is likely to outgrow this allergy in time. Can someone confirm or deny? I'm thinking I'll try him again in 6 months. Would you wait that long? Longer?

TIA. :)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Egg white allergy?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 17:51:30 pm »
You are correct that it is not uncommon and that it is often outgrown. I also agree that you may want to wait some time, a minimum of 3 months - 6 months wouldn't be bad either though...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Leanne

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Pthhhpt!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:52:57 am »
Thanks so much, Karen. :)

Offline Maggie and Nathan's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 13:55:19 pm »
We went in for a check up at 10 months and I told the doc how much he loved eggs.  He freaked out :o  I wound not feed him eggs until at least 12 months he said (a little sternly)! However, Nathan had been eating eggs for weeks.  He has never had a reaction so I assumed it would be OK.  The funny thing is last night we had "breakfast" for dinner.  I was giving Nathan some egg and Maggie said "Mom, Dr. G TOLD you NOT to give him eggs!!  Don't you remember"!!! ::)
TARA

Maggie  06/18/02

Nathan   01/30/06