Author Topic: How long does it take for EASY to work?  (Read 1616 times)

Offline TSR

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 13, 2006, 18:33:18 pm »
Hi everyone. I just started implementing EASY and sometimes I am not 100% consistent with the program. For instance, my DD used to co-sleep (like 2 days ago) and now I'm trying to move away from that habit. I used to think that she slept through the night but now she's waking up every two hours to feed and I'm wondering if she did that all along only I was barely conscious of it and just fed her in my sleep. So, I'll wake up and feed her and put her back into her crib every two hours. But toward the end of the evening, like at 6 am in the morning, I am just so tired that I end up bringing her into bed with me. Is that going to slow down or even stop EASY from working?

Also, how do I get her to feed every 3 or even. 3.5 hours. She is now 12 weeks. How long should she be going between feeds?

And how do I get her to stop waking up in the middle of the night? It's especially difficult as she shares a room with my husband and myself and when we come in to go to bed we try to be quiet but we sometimes end up waking her up.

Also, today all of her naps were only 1 hour long and she wouldn't go back to sleep even with extensive pat/shush. She seems worn out and weary of the new program. I hope I'm not traumatizing her. We just started the EASY routine about three days ago. It's getting better, but barely.

Also, if one knows that her baby's nighttime sleep will be interrupted by loud noise like an electric drill (as we had last night), what should she do?

Another question is what should I do if my baby wakes up from a nap with a wet nappy and is totally drenched through and then while I'm changing the nappy she starts getting all playful and smiling? I just took her out of her bed and that was the end of the nap. What should be done in that case? And how should I deal with a wet nappy in the middle of a nap in general?

Sorry for all the questions. I am so grateful for this site. It is such a help!! Thanks!

Offline meltown

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
Re: How long does it take for EASY to work?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 19:18:06 pm »
My son is about the same age as your Lo.  we have been on EASY since birth and I can tell you that we still have times where we are trying to figure things out.  I want to kind of address things is order but I may skip around a bit.  first congrats on finding EASY.  I promise it works.  you have to remember that your LO is used to things a certain way and you are now training her to be different.  things are going to be a bit crazy at first.  I assume your BFing.  I would write down your schedual.  exactly what you will do and take the next few days and stay at home as much as possible and help her get used to it.  it only takes a few days of this as she is so young.  As for the night sleep, again remember she is changing scheduals and used to you being there a lot.  so I would suggest maybe having you and the baby or your DH sleep out of the room if the sleep is getting really interupted. (does LO have to be in your room or are you choosing this?  I know some people don't have another room to put LO in so they have to be in their room.) If you are feeding LO enough during the day they wont need to wake every 2 hours so your could use shh/patt to get them back to sleep on some of those feeds.  you don't need to feed every time they wake as the have enough calories so they don't need to.  some waking is normal for a baby that age so I wouldn't always do it.  (others may disagree with that)  after a few days she should get used to sleeping a bit longer during the night.  just be sure that you are slepeing during the day.  Also be sure that during the day you don't lt LO nap past her feeding time, even if she has just gotten to sleep, wake her and feed her have a shorter activity time then normal and then put her down for a longer nap.  this will help so she sleeps more at night.  at that age on a 3 hour EASY she should have 3 1 1/2 hour naps and a cat nap before bed.  what is your start time?  A lot of people suggest getting them to bed by 7:00-7:30.  I do that and it is working wonders for my son and me!  it gives me a chance to get things done before I go to bed.  Also you may not be able to do a 3 hour EASY quite yet.  you may need to do a 2 1/2 hour easy.  they sleep one hour every cycle with that. 

As for the wet diaper, you just have to change them in as dark a room as possible.  don't talk to them or interact with them.  as cute s  they look, you have to try not to! ;)  I know it is hard as my son does that quite a bit when I'm trying to get him to go to sleep.  but you have to so they don't get stimulated and more awake then they already are.  you have ot use your best judgment on if they have napped long enough or not.  if not then you either shh/patt them back to sleep or if they will do it on their own just put them back in their crib and leave for them to go back to sleep. 

The most important thing right now is that you help her get used to the schedual and that you learn her crys and cues and everything.  It will get easier and in the long run it is for the best.  I knnow that sounds totally untrue right now but i promise it will get better.  hang in their and let us know what is happening!
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline meltown

• Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 19:19:29 pm »
oh, and it would help if your post your routine (plan) and what a normal day loks like for you.  that way we could give you more suggestions on how to fix things so they work better.
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline rebecaq

• Showing Appreciation 153
  • It's Naked Time!
    • Mac Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 20:10:08 pm »
Hi TSR  ;D

I'm glad you're implementing EASY! It will start to pay off soon  ;)

Your dd may be waking so often because there has been a big change in her nights. She's used to sleeping to a warm body all night and probably is still trying to get used to sleeping on her own.  Are you 100% sure she's hungry every time she wakes? Try to give her a paci and shhh/pat to see if can drfit off that way. She may be giving you signs of wanting to nurse to ahve the warm body next to her again.

If you want her to sleep independently, then everytime you take her back into your bed your going back to square one.  :-\  Also, you're sending her the message that sometimes you leave her alone and other times you go to her. The best thing to do is always go to her but keep her in her bed.  

At 12 weeks she should be on 3.5 hour EASY
3.5-hour EASY:

E: 7.00 wake up and feed
A: 7.30 or 7.45 (depending on how long feed takes)
S: 8.30 (1.5hr nap)
Y: your choice
E: 10.30
A: 11.00 or 11.15
S: 12.30 (1.5hr nap)
E: 2.00
A: 2.30 or 2.45
S: 3.30 (1.5hr nap)
E: 5.30 feed
A: inc. bath time
E: 7.00/7.30 (cluster feed)
S: 7.30/8pm bedtime
Y: the evening is yours
E: 10 or 11pm dreamfeed

My ds is 18 months and also sleep in our room (in his crib) and all I can tell you is that after a while they get used to shring the room and won't wake each time you go into the room. Babies sleep through the night when they are developmentaly ready, so just stik to your routine and to shh/pat and she's get the hang of it  ;)

You're not traumatizing her with her new routine. Her naps may be thrown off from the multiple night wakings. That means you need to be even more consistent with her routine and keep co-sleeping at bay so she can fully embrace the new way things are being done.

When I know ds's sleep is going to be interrupted I place a white noise machine AND a CD of classic music/lullabyes etc and hope for the best. but things will happen and they will get woken up  :P

Have you tried changing her nappy right before nap time? I always put ds down with a brand new diaper for every nap everyday to ensure a wet/soiled nappy doesn't interrupt his sleep  ;)

Hope to have helped you

- Beca
Beca - Momma of two Mini Dudes ;D
          Wife to the Big Dude ;D
[img=http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png]http://b3.lilypie.com/w5d0m4/.png[/img][/url][url=http://lilypie.com][img=http://b1.lilypie.com/P8R8m4/.png]http://

Offline aradams

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My sleeping angel
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 21:00:36 pm »
my 11 wk old has been on easy since day one and it has really been wonderful.  don't get me wrong, i have tons of questions which all these nice people are helping me with, but sticking with it is totally worth it.  i have friends who feed their babies on demand and have no routine of any kind and their lives seem a little chaotic.  ours is by no means challenge-free, but it really works for us.  i know it's hard to stay with the routine when you're tired and the "old ways" seem so much easier, but that's how accidental parenting begins.  i wish i had more to offer than just encouragement, but i'm still learning it myself!  good luck!  :)