Author Topic: Picky after stomach flu :(  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:37:05 am »
DS had gastroenteritis about 6 weeks or so ago... He started to vomit in the afternoon and didn't stop for hours so we had to go to hospital and stayed there for 5 days.

Problem is now... Everything he ate that day (before he got sick) he will not eat anymore...

- milk and all milk products like yoghurt, chocolate milk, cheese, cream cheese, cereal (he gags and cries and sometimes vomits if he just sees it)
- most sweets and bisquits apart from chocolate (not that unhappy about that)
- unsweetened tea and all juices except really watery apple juice
- all food except hipp spaghetti napoli (I am honestly trying to improve that, but I don't have much time to cook and for it all to be thrown up and screamed at)
- pate (in Germany bread and pate is a traditional baby dinner, he used to love it)
- he eats bread and jam though

Here a wee daily eating plan

8 am breakfast: fullgrain rie bread with jam and some fruit (banana or apple andf apricot puree)

not hungry between that, refuses all food

11.30 am lunch : hipp pasta napoli or homemade pasta with tomato sauce (and hidded veg)

3 pm snack: fruit and something sweet (like a banana and some chocolate or cake cos its christmas)

6 pm dinner: vegetable soup and some bread or fruit and some bread

Problem is... he is a very active boy... At 5 months he weighed a whopping 22 pound. At 15 months he weighs only 23 pound, that means he has hardly put on anything for 10 months!

Any ideas?

Offline alligirl

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
Re: Picky after stomach flu :(
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 13:57:43 pm »
My second son got some kind of bug when he was a year old and threw up for a few days.  After that, he got really picky about what he would eat.  I never really put the two together until we saw a developmentalist and after I told her how picky he was, she asked if he had been sick at all.  A lightbulb went off and it occurred to me that the two were related.  He was REALLY picky about textures....it had something to do with the sensory part of the food.   He was so hard to feed and would eat NO fruits or vegetables.  And other foods were hit or miss, sometimes he would eat them, sometimes not.  Like noodles...most days he wouldn't touch them (or even look at them, seriously) and then other days, that's all he would eat. 

Anyway, I kept offering the foods I wanted him to eat but I never forced it.  If he ate them I would get excited and say "Good eating!" or "Good tasting!"  But honestly, he rarely ever ate them.  So we just kept doing that and giving him healthy foods we knew he would eat.   My motto was (and still is) "He won't eat it if he never sees it."  I just kept reminding myself that he would be fine and that as long as he was eating some nutritious food, he would get what he needed.

I hate to tell you this, but this problem has just recently (in the last month or so...over a year from when this all started) getting better.  He just eventually started eating the foods that I always offered (it helped that his big brother will eat ANYTHING).  And this week he actually asked for a pear!  So it is better.

I think the example diet you gave looks good for a toddler.  I would definitely talk to your pediatrician about his diet and lack of weight gain, though.  Just to rule out something else going on. 

GOOD LUCK!  I know how frustrating this can be, but try not to to get too worked up because that will make meal time unpleasant for everyone and he certainly won't eat if he feels stressed or pressured.    :)
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Picky after stomach flu :(
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 01:38:28 am »
Yikes, we are dealing with the same thing.  My son is 16months old and was a picky eater before his most recent stomach virus.  He has just gotten over it.  He went 5 days with no food at all and today is our first day of actually eating. 

He barely ate anything today and was even more picky.  I hope this is not a sign that he is going to get even more picker :(

Good luck!!!
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!