Author Topic: Well, We gave it one more try  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Maggie and Nathan's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY
Well, We gave it one more try
« on: December 15, 2006, 13:58:57 pm »
Nathan has been on soy or Alimentum since 2 weeks old.  We tried regular formula at 5 months but within 4 days he was throwing up :-[  We received a nice sample of Enfamil Follow up formula in the mail the other day.    I thought well it has been several months we should try this and see if he can tolerate it.  Well, it only took 2 days this time  He woke at night with horrible gas and started throwing up :-\  So it looks like we are soy for life!!  (or at least until I get this crazy idea in my head again to "try" milk)
TARA

Maggie  06/18/02

Nathan   01/30/06

Offline Lucysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
Re: Well, We gave it one more try
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 14:07:14 pm »
Hi -

My dd is also not able to digest milk proteins and has been on soy since she was about 2 weeks old.  Her reaction to milk proteins is much more immediate; within 1 hr 30 minutes she is usually vomitting and will continue doing so and sleeping for several hours.  What I wanted to say was that I was told by my pediatrician that since we know she is allergic to milk then it is in our best interests to keep her away from milk for as long as possible and then try her again on milk.  So for example, the pediatrician asked us to try milk in July, we had a bad result, so we will not try milk again until next summer at the very earliest.  She explained that each time the child is exposed to the food item that causes the allergic reaction, the worse the body's reaction to it will become.  It is more likely that she will outgrow this allergy if she is not exposed to milk for long periods of time.  So I am not saying not to try again, just wait for a long time and then try again under the supervision of your pediatrician.  And then hopefully both our kids will be able to enjoy yummy things like ice cream and pizza with everyone else!  ;D