Author Topic: Amy's Organic Meals  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Amy's Organic Meals
« on: December 15, 2006, 23:48:22 pm »
OK, so my super picky toddler has now twice tried (when I'm eating them) an Amy's Organic Brown Rice bowl. The ingredients are organic brown rice, filtered water, organic black-eyed peas, organic broccoli, organic mushrooms, organic tomatoes, organic carrots, organic onions, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic tamari (wheat free), organic cilantro, organic ginger, sea salt, organic garlic, spices (100% pure herbs and spices). Anyway, she will have a few baby forkfuls (some on fork, tiny bit by hand). Nothing to constitute a meal, but then again, it wasn't served as a meal (it was my meal). Being that they are super healthy and have a nice amount of fat and protein and veggies, I'm THRILLED she's even trying this. Problems are (1) she only has a few bites so it's not realistic/practical to make a whole meal (they are frozen meals) and waste the rest and (2) they are rather high in sodium.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone familiar with these meals and the consistency of them and how I can replicate it? They come out pretty mushy but not totally...

I'm considering emailing the company and asking if they can make kid portions with lower sodium!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Re: Amy's Organic Meals
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 19:38:08 pm »
Might be possible. Any good risotto recipes?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

binxyboo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 19:44:33 pm »
I will lurk along to get recipe ideas as I like Amy's range of food. I loved the pizza when I was vegan, still buy it now.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 19:56:01 pm »
I know - her foods are really good!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:40:43 am »
Thanks Stacy. FYI, I heard back from Amy's organic that they are coming out with Kids Meal in June - so that may be cool. I'll try some risotto in the meantime. Wonder about orzo too? BTW, Marisa really likes this chicken my sister made - she had it on Christmas night at her house and we brought some home - but she won't eat the pasta with it - so I'm trying to decide what to make with it to fill her up a little as the chicken is really  healthy and good for her but not so filling...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 12:43:21 pm »
Marisa usually only has fruit purees so I've just been using Earth's Best jars. I can try some of her homemade ones if they are really good but trying to move her off them if/when possible.

Believe me, I was happy with her dinner last night - it just didn't seem to fill her enough so trying to work on that now since she's still tanking up (in her own picky way) after being ill.

How did you show him how to dip? I haven't been able to get Marisa to take to that.

Go Kaleb!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 13:16:42 pm »
Charlotte learned dipping by watching us with french toast sticks.  Then she started dipping hers in my syrup.  Toddler see, toddler do.  Would M be at all interested in itty bitty alphabet pasta?  That with chicken could be a  fun option.  I got the little round ball ones for Charlotte.  Bad idea, they take forever (to her) to cook.   :D
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Pimento

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 14:38:30 pm »
I have a risotto recipe that involved no hard work, or cup by cup method at all... not sure it's 100% authentic but it's super tasty.

little oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper copped
5/6 mushrooms sliced
6oz long grain rice
1pint veg stock

heat the oil and fry the onion for a few mins, then add the pepper for a few mins, then the mush for a few mins.  Then add the rice, stir, then add in the stock.  Simmer over a low heat for about 15/20 mins... basically until the rice is cooked.  If it's not cooked and is getting too dry, just pop in a little bit of extra water.  This serves 2 adults but I used to puree this when my LO was younger, then chopped it finely and now pretty much give it as it is... you can add some milk once cooked to make it a little creamier for LOs.

HTH