Author Topic: Trying to be Proactive Here-Please Advise  (Read 1032 times)

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
Trying to be Proactive Here-Please Advise
« on: December 17, 2006, 18:56:29 pm »
Thanks for reading and your help in advance all.  DS (14 months) has just had 6 weeks of tough teething.  He was an early teether with his first tooth at 4 months.  I know the patterns and regressions with his sleep, but this last bunch of teeth really did a number on him and me!  2 weeks ago, the 2 bottom molars and to my surprise the bottom eye/canines came in.  So fine, things went back to normal, phew we made it...eating better, sleeping well etc...Then last week it begins again but with a very nasty cold (no infections anywhere we went to Doc's on Thurs) terrible fever 3 nights, horrible days, naps, eating and night wakings with screams.  The one top canine is out and the other is basically right there and the top molars both have the first pieces jutting out.  We use meds&teething tabs and we have been trying to keep him happy as much as possible.  Ok, so here is where I want to be proactive and need your help.  During this last 6 weeks DS's naps have been all over the place, obviously due to teeth, but also with that awkward 2-1 nap switch and he has had night wakings where only I can settle him (DH has never had a prob in the past) and I have had to sleep with him on the futon in his room as he will not go back to his crib as he is screaming.  Of course we have had good normal nights too in there, but not this past week.  BTW, he always goes to sleep no problem on his own at bedtime.  So, he was a bit better yesterday and last night he went to bed well but woke at 1am and would not hear of DH setting him and lo and behold I slept with him again.  So I'm giving him one more night's grace (if need be-hope not) as he so much better but still has the cough, but then, we need to stop this "AP habit."  What approach do you think is best?  WI/WO (have never really had to use this) or Gentle removal where I gradually move away and keep reassuring him. (used this at 8 months)  Should I expect things to settle down in a few days, weeks?  DH and I are up for the sleep re-train.  I mean if all is well, he shouldn't wake.  I hope, but want to be ready with a game plan.  Should I not do it and let DH, even though Nello only wants me lately?!  Should I do it? Should I stop with the Motrin/Tylenol etc...I feel like the poor wee soul has been taking it forever. Sorry, this is going on a bit long now, just need some support.  He has been on EASY since 4 weeks and DH and I are BW junkies and Nello is an Angel Baby/Toddler with Touchy eating and sleeping tendencies. Our routine so far today was:

7:10 Wake up (very good mood and feeling much better) and BF
8-Breakfast (ate much better today-Muesli muffin, plum and a yoghurt)
10-10:30 sleep on a walk in pram
11:30 Lunch (ate much better today-omelette pieces and cottage cheese, sippy of whole milk)
1:15 Sleep now and probably will go for 1.5 hours
Will aim for bed at 7:15

Thank you all,

Aisling x

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Re: Trying to be Proactive Here-Please Advise
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 19:10:24 pm »
{{hugs}} aisling -- just having some lunch, but will come back and read in more depth!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 19:48:33 pm »
Personally I would go in there with him if he just wants you.  He'll probably settle more quickly then.  I'm also thinking I'd go for gradual withdrawal as it sounds like he's been through a real rough time lately.  I would say though, that chances are if he's been a good sleeper he'll go back to it sooner rather than later and you won't have to worry about it.  I know my dd got her molars, had a cold/pink eye/ear infection, and then got eye teeth in the course of a month around a year and I thought we would never sleep again with number of times she was waking but she got back on track surprisingly fast once it all passed.  As for the pain meds, I would base it on his behavior in the late afternoon - if he's happy and content I would skip it and give it if he wakes, if he's cranky and upset I would give it before bed. 

Hope you have a good night.

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 18:27:14 pm »
Again, don't have much to add to Erin's brilliant advice. I just wanted to encourage to keep at staying at the futon while he needs you. It seems that he's been through a lot, he's still young and doesn't understand what's going on, he just feels poorly and needs mommy to fix it. I'm sure that once he's over the illnesses and pain will get back to his oldself really quickly since he already has good sleep habits. For us, molars took 3 months so I think you're at the end of the corner right now, just have to remain strong!

HTH and keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:36:00 am »
Thanks so much for responding with your advice and support Erin and Florencia. :-*
(Thanks for hugs Katy!)

Last night was pretty good, Nello went to bed no probs and as expected did that new habitual 1am wake up.  I was half asleep (also getting over this nasty flu bug) so, I just got him and slept on the futon!  :-\   I think I will try W2S tonight to see if that may work. 

Nello is much better, just a little cough and a bit stuffy nose. I'm sure he is in a little pain still as the whole molars are not out yet, but that eye tooth is oh... so there!  I am going to go and sneak and feel after this.  I always find it is the only time I can feel around his mouth is when he is sleeping or I have nearly lost a few fingers! I haven't given him any pain meds today. He ate very well today, so I am happy about that. 

I am holding off on switching up his naps and leaving it with the short a.m nap and the longer pm nap for now and will wait until things settle down.  You are both so right, he has been through a lot.  :'(  Florencia it will almost be 3 months for us as well when this is all said and done and thanks for the encouragement to stay strong.  I really never expected teething to be this tough.  I don't wish this on my worst enemy.  Maybe it is the age, but the one nice thing that has come about all this, he is so much more cuddlier now!  :)  I just don't want him to be clingy IYKWIM, it's that fine line/Mum's dilemma I'm sure. 

I'll keep you all posted and thanks so much again.  If anyone else would like to add anything please, please feel free.

Aisling x

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 18:58:48 pm »
Well, improving appetite is always a sign of things getting better. I'm sure he'll be fine. I'd hold off the W2S for a week more tough. If you feel he's still feeling pain, then that would be enough reason for waking, so why don't you try some pain meds before bed and see if that does the trick?

Another thing to add: WHAT A LOVELY AVATAR! you guys look like such a happy family! I love love love the piccie!

Hope things keep looking up!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 19:24:39 pm »
Oh, thanks Florencia.  We were very pleased with the xmas pic and yes, we are a very happy and blessed family. 

I didn't do the W2S as I was sleeping!  He woke at 3am-ish and settled pretty fast with me reassuring him and woke at 7:10!  ;D  I slept in my bed last night!!!  He just went down nice for his nap, things are looking up.  We'll see!  ::) :-\

Thanks again.

A x