Author Topic: 4 Month Old Suddenly Having 2 Hr. Wake-ups, Crying  (Read 789 times)

Offline lindseysak

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 Month Old Suddenly Having 2 Hr. Wake-ups, Crying
« on: December 17, 2006, 20:38:41 pm »
Hi All - thanks for your help. Our little girl Tessa has abruptly changed her night schedule, though her days are still fine. Any thoughts? All our normal tools for settling her back to sleep are no longer working. If you have any advice for some new approaches, we'd sure appreciate it!

How old is your child? Four months and a week

What’s her daily routine? 4 Hour E.A.S.Y. - 7:30a – 7:30p  – generally right on the button and thriving with this.

What’s nap routine? – two 45 minutes to one hour naps morning and late afternoon, one two hour nap mid-day

What's bedtime routine? Time? Bedtime routine is getting a swaddle (still seems to like it, but wondering if this is part of her change?), some quiet sitting time with Mom or Dad, then to sleep, usually with a pacifier that she spits out after a few minutes of soothing. She goes down between 7:30 and 8pm. She is a very good self settler and hasn't needed more than a low-key sleep routine.(until the past few days!)

Do you bottle or breastfed?? Bottle. Normally – 4-6 oz four times per day in daytime, then two 4 oz bottles at night, sometimes a little more.
Last two nights – 5-6 oz four times per day, then two or three 4-6 oz feedings at night, sometimes two – two and a half hours apart! Last night she took a full six oz. just a couple of hours after having 6 oz. before bed.

How many wakes per night? Normally – two – 12a-1a and 4a – 5a, on the button. Last two or three nights– up screaming every 2 – 2.5 hours.

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? We let her self-settle, and most of the time if she isn;t hungry this is fine. If it moves into a full cry we try to be right there, especially when we know it is likely a feeding. Right now she is so off we have tried to let her cry a little longer and self settle- - up to five minutes but not working. We have been doing some shush pat the past few nights but it only works short term.

When you go to her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? No – right now she starts by fussing, but it accelerates into a screaming cry, and that is when we go to her.

What have you tried to settle?? Pacifier – will work for about two minutes then cries again; shush/pat with her in the crib, pick-up and rock and shush, but cries when you put her back down. We finally took her into bed with us last night and she slept for five hours, but when she woke up again around 4a, she was wide awake and nothing soothed her for over an hour when a swaddle, a pacifier and lying down with Mom put her to sleep, then back in the crib alone once asleep. (We don't like doing this - it was a last resort)

What do you do for A time and how long is it? She sits with us and plays – practicing standing, airplane, etc. Or she lies on a blanket with a favorite toy – and she is starting to roll over (last 4-5 days), so we put her on her tummy to roll back, etc. She also sits in her swing with a mirror toy sometimes. She has become very very verbal in the past two weeks as well, so she will talk away as well.

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Yes – she has had a number of changes in the past seven days – starting to turn over, finding her thumb (vs. entire hand) to suck, is grabbing her feet now, etc.

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) No – just formula.

Do they have a prop? If so what is it? If anything, a pacifier, but she uses it minimally – she soothes with it when upset then spits it out or else uses it to fall asleep, then spits it out.

Do they have a lovie? Not yet.

Thanks for any advice/insight? We are so tired we can't think clearly!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 4 Month Old Suddenly Having 2 Hr. Wake-ups, Crying
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 17:37:06 pm »
Quote from: lindseysak
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Yes – she has had a number of changes in the past seven days – starting to turn over, finding her thumb (vs. entire hand) to suck, is grabbing her feet now, etc.

This right here is likely your problem. 4 months very often starts a bad patch for sleeping for developmental reasons. Around 4 mo a lot of developmental stuff starts and LO wakes at night wanting to practice  ::)  The best way to combat those wakings is to make sure LO has all the time during the day to practice as he/she wants. That way she will (hopefully) get the urge out of her system and master the skill faster.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline pittaor

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 22:05:29 pm »
If I didn't know any better I would have thought you were writting about my last week with DD. I am looking forward to hearing others suggestions. Sentence for Sentence this is my daughter. Rena

Offline weatherlyn

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Lynsey, mum to Luca. South African living in Italy
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 12:35:40 pm »
I am having the same problems. My DS is four and a half months, and now waking more often at night, but the problem is getting him back down, even after have fed him. It is now taking up to an hour or even longer, he is just wide awake, and rolling rolling rolling. He isnt crying, so i try to just leave him to eventually stop playing and fall asleep, but it never happens, he just ends up over tired and then he starts crying, and i really battle to get him back down. if i pick him up, he fights me, and even if he gets a bit drowsy, the mo i put back down the rolling starts. I dont want to start AP, but the longer i leave him to sort himself out, the more worked up he gets. Is this just a phase that will sort itself out or is there something i can do? dont want to become a prop, but we all sleep in the same room so no one getting any sleep. If anyone has any advice or been in same situation would love to hear. Ps even a feed doesnt make him sleepy.
Luca, born 1 August 2006. My spirited, lovable little whirlwind.