Author Topic: Teething cause frequent night wakings (every 2 hours!)????  (Read 2953 times)

Offline nadb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Teething cause frequent night wakings (every 2 hours!)????
« on: December 18, 2006, 13:25:04 pm »
My little one was sleeping VERY well at night - at least up until the last two nights! She was sleeping through (7:30 to 7/7:30)...with some days waking at either 4 am or 6 am only needing to by shhhhed back to sleep. now the past two nights she has been waking almost every 2 hours needing to be shhhed. She is showing signs of teething - red cheek, fussier, biting on things.

could this night waking be from teething????

if so, will this lead to some sort of habitual waking...and what can i do to prevent this????

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Teething cause frequent night wakings (every 2 hours!)????
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 17:42:11 pm »
Sure could be from teething. Have you given her something for it, like Motrin?

Don't worry about habitual wakings, teething doesn't usually lead to that.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 19:28:33 pm »
hi I agree with Jessica- sounds like teething. and some pain relief should help. and teething gel or tablets.
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 19:35:00 pm »
Oh that sooo sounds like teething - our ds usually sleeps 11hours at night (10mo) but will wake 6-7 times a night if he's teething.  Once the little sucker has cut through ds settles within a few days again.

Offline soelimama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 20:54:46 pm »
I think that we are dealing with the same issue.  BUT, our LO stays awake after 2 a.m. for HOURS!  We are all very tired around here.  You can only give pain relief every so often and its been a week.  Anyone else have this happen??

Offline nadb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 21:42:59 pm »
Linfran - what do you do with your little ones 6 or 7 wakings?? do you go in and shhh back to sleep???

Offline linfran

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 07:09:16 am »
Usually I'm able to just give him a dummy and he goes back right over - pity the same can't be said for me!!!  He doesn't seem to take a dummy at any time other than teething so I'm ok with that.  Sometimes he'll want something to drinks I'll give him a little water - the amount he eats during the day I know he can't be hungry and I don't want to encourage night feeding again.

Also dh and I will take turns night about so we both get a break - if you have anyone you can do this with it can really help keep you sane!  Plus, as he's got 11 teeth we know the drill and know that it will eventually settle so it helps to realise there's light at the end of the tunnel (damn long tunnel though....).

I find it really hard to be getting up and down all night to him especially now I'm back at work.  The girls in the office know if I come in with a double espresso it's going to be a bad day!

Good luck, and sending you a big hug and sleep vibes....

Offline nadb

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 16:16:59 pm »
thanks. my husband is good at getting up on some of the wake ups - i usually send him in if i know i am frustrated and won't so a good job at settling.

question linfran - how soon after the signs of teething (including the night wakings) - do you find your little ones teeth break. just wondering how long i should expect the teeth to break through - hopefully before christmas?!?!?!

happy holidays!

Offline linfran

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 07:46:01 am »
I found that after the teeth cut through Jason settled pretty quick, even though some of them are fully out to their proper size, iykwim?

The teething signs sometimes come and go (he's teething again at the moment and I can feel a big lump of a molar under the surface, oh joy) but often he does the night wakings right up till they cut through -however, Jason tends to get teeth in batches.  When he was 8mo he got 4 teeth in one week and 2 the next so that was not a fun time in our house!

I found though that whilst he got the other signs (drool, runny nose, nappy rash) on and off the night wakings got worse the closer he got to popping the teeth through.

Offline RenneE

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 16:34:35 pm »
My 7 mo old is teething too and up every 2-3 hours I gave him motrin but I don't know that it's working he is 20lbs. How much motrin do you give your lo? He is also crawling so I'm wondering if this has to do with his night wakings.