Author Topic: suddenly hates high chair  (Read 2050 times)

Offline x95stocchier

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
suddenly hates high chair
« on: December 18, 2006, 13:37:35 pm »
DS (12 months) had a rough stomach bug last week, and understandably didn't eat solids for 3-4 days.  We started back by snacking on crackers, etc.  He's now back to eating solids, but about 70% of the time he screams when I try to put him in the high chair.  I know he's hungry b/c he tries to pull up my shirt to nurse, but I need to get him back on track with solids too.....once in the high chair he will either: calm down and eat or continue to scream (at which point I take him out and skip the meal).  Last night he screamed and screamed and got rigid when I tried to put him in, so we just skipped dinner all together.

I've tried saying "okay you aren't ready" and play for another 10-15 min etc but he still screams when I try again.  Has he just gotten used to snacking around the house from when he was sick, and no doesn't want to be confined to the high chair?  How do I deal with his high chair aversion?  At what point do I just say, " enough is enough, you must eat now" ? 

Thanks!
Sarah
Sarah

Offline Pigeon

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 14:14:33 pm »
HI Sarah,
Is Daniel too small for a booster seat/regular adult chair with cushions? Maybe if he has got used to snacking around the house, you could try either of those - it would be a novelty but NOT his usual high chair (which it sounds like he is resisting!) He maybe too young for an adult chair and might keep escaping, but a booster seat would have straps. That way he could sit to the table with you too, which might make him feel like a bigger boy!  ;)
HTH
Laura, studying SAHM of
Megan Isabelle - April 2004
William Harvey (Billy) - March 2007

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: suddenly hates high chair
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 15:22:43 pm »
Alex hates her high chair (she is older, nearly 2) but I need to use something as she gets up and walks about all the time so I use a chair that straps to a regular dining chair and she sits at the table with us rather than at the side of us and she loves it.  I think that she feels like a big girl.

Offline MrsKirky

• Showing Appreciation 27
  • Aidan dressed as a Sheriff for Halloween
Re: suddenly hates high chair
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 04:03:10 am »
DS also went through a high-chair aversion around your child's age.  I went to IKEA and bought him a table and bench and 2 chairs.  He eats there all the time now.  Not too much money - about $30 for the table, 20 for bench, and about $25 total for chairs.  I figure he will use them a lot longer than the high-chair anyway.  We also bought several larger bibs that cover more of his front to keep the mess down.  HTH!
(Krista) Aidan-2/9/2005. Touchy.Gravida 5 Para 1 and proud of the LO for hanging on tight!