Author Topic: Growth Spurt?  (Read 898 times)

Offline SSM

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Growth Spurt?
« on: December 20, 2006, 15:39:03 pm »
I have recently started my 6week old son on EASY since about a week. Previouly he used to have his last feed at 10/11pm and then wake once between 3-5am( used to nurse only for 10mins) for a feed before waking in the mornings. Now I am cluster feeding him at 6/8/10pm, but since two days he has been getting up again at1-2am and again at 5am for a feed and both times does not go back to sleep with the dummy/patting shushing. My husband usually gives him EBM or formula at the 1-2 am feed and he again has 3-4 ounces and then I breastfeed him at 5am and he again takes a full feed for 25-30min.

Could this increase in appetite be due to a growth spurt? Should I be feeding him more during the day in order to reduce the night wakings? I breast feed during the day, so do not know how much he is getting, should I offer top up as well?

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Growth Spurt?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 21:54:52 pm »
You say you are clusterfeeding at 6/8/10.  Do you wake your lo for the 8 and 10 feeds?  If you are waking your lo, this could disturbe their sleep pattern and could cause more night wakings.

Could you post your routine so that we can have a look at it?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline SSM

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 22:17:05 pm »
The rountine I have started is like this

E-7
A-
S-8.15/8.30 to 10

E-10
A-
S-11.30-1

E-1
A
S-2.30-4

E-4
A-
S-5.15-6

E-6
A-
S- This does not happen( Happened today for the first time)

E-8
A-none, if awake then we end up cuddleing and talking to him
S-Again uusally no luck or at about 9/9.30

DF-10.30 or 11 depending on when he slept

He wakes up once at night between 3-4am and the again by 6-7am, but more night awakenings since 2 days

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 22:24:06 pm »
If your lo is not taking a cat nap, this could cause your lo to get overtired and can cause more night wakings.

I would see with your lo having a cat nap if it makes tonight any better.

Offline SSM

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 22:28:21 pm »
Today, he has been awake from 8 till 10.30. My hubby is going to do the dream feed or awake feed now and hope he sleeps till morning. At least he is noot crying. He seems to be lot happier with hubby than me. I just seem to get so stressed when he starts crying in the evenings and give him over to hubby. Maybe I am not a natural mother types :-[, I have started the evening massage/bath routine as well since 2 days, but still he does not settle well in the evenings

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 22:37:48 pm »
You are doing great, you have gotten your DS onto a great routine, and he seems to be doing very well.  We all have a few bumps in the road to get things sorted.  Hugs  :-*

You say that your lo is hard to settle in the evenings, do you think that he could be a bit colicy?  This could be why he is not settling till later.

You might want to try an earlier bed time, and see if this helps your lo settle.  I would aim for your lo to be in bed by 7:00 / 7:30.

You could E at 6:00 have a bath etc as your A time, E again after the bath, and then wind down and in bed for 7:00 ish and then do the DF as close to 10 as possible.

Keep us posted on how you get on.