Author Topic: WI/WO questions?  (Read 977 times)

Offline shellyxx

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 20, 2006, 16:21:17 pm »
Hi all

We started using WI/WO last week (on day 10 today) after seeing a sleep councillor, Jake used to sleep through until he was about 5 months old (now 18 months) and has done the odd night since.  Looking back the problems started when he was weaned and his reflux worsened, he was being sick every morning and started using his bottle as a comforter and we got into a bad cycle.  Our HV recomended giving him a small amount of milk when he woke as he was awake for 3 hours at a time and nothing would comfort him, this was fine for a while but he started waking more and more so we stopped the milk and started WI/WO.

The first night it took 5 hours to get him back to sleep from the first wake up at 11pm, 2nd night he slept through, 3rd night 3 hours to get him back to sleep, 4th night slept through, 5th night 3 hours to get him back to sleep....

So basically he CAN sleep through he did 6.30pm till 8am on Monday!!! So why can't he do it every night ??? and why is it still taking me so long to get him back to sleep

When he wakes he never wants to be held so he's fine being lay back down but he just screams and screams for the full 3 hours there is no calming him until he is exhausted (or we give him medised but don't want to do that too often)

He's also become a nightmare during the day since we started WI/WO, really clingy, major tantrums if he doesn't get his own way I have no idea where my happy little boy has gone  :(

DH has been really good and we have taken it in turns to get up with him but I'm not sure how much longer we can carry on for, we both work full time so there is no chance of catching up on sleep during the day

Has anyone any idea and how long should WI/WO usually take to work ???

TIA

Love

Shell xx

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: WI/WO questions?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 22:50:53 pm »
If you give him Medised, he settles?  Could it be a pain?  Are his days consistent?  On the days that he sleeps, does he nap longer or shorter in the day? Does he have any signs of teething or sickness. 
All babies are diferent, so there is no set time, but you should start to see some improvement after 2 weeks i would think.

I would write down everything that happens during the day for a few days to ensure that the pattern fits and rule out illness, hunger, seperation anxiety etc.

Let us know how tonight went.

Offline shellyxx

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:21:56 am »
Hi

He does settle with medised but always has done, his days are very consistant he loves routine so every day is very much the same, maybe some days he won't nap at nursery but I don't see a link with that and his sleeping (just that he is so tired when he gets home!)

He is teething so i think that isn't helping matters and I am sure his reflux still bothers him but I can't do anymore to help him except wait for him to grow out of it  :(

We are on day 12 today and he's still up for 2 hours + a night but I have seen a big improvement in his daytime behaviour he is more his usual self so fingers crossed maybe night time will improve, I'm just worryed that all the hype of christmas won't help, I suppose we will just have to try really hard to stick to it

Thanks

Love

Shell xx

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 13:03:51 pm »
How are you doing?  What sort of a night did you have?

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 13:44:40 pm »
Just wanted to butt in on this thread as we r in a very similar situation. I find it impossible to work out why 14mo DS wakes every hr at night (has done for 3+ months) so will follow this thread (if u dont mind) !

Good luck to u!