Author Topic: Here's another one for you - please help!  (Read 866 times)

Offline maggie2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Here's another one for you - please help!
« on: December 21, 2006, 13:19:50 pm »
Well, it seems to be a running theme on this board as far as 16/17 mo's go...  but we're now having problems too.  I need some wisdom from you ladies ;)

Ds (17mo) has begun having a lot of difficulties settling himself at naps and bedtime, and the past few nights, he has woken once or twice in the night, but settled by himself.  Last night took a while, but he eventually did it (it was the kind of cry that seemed like he was settling, so I didn't go in).  I'm concerned about the fact that things seem to be getting worse and out of control and I want to stop it now.  I'm worried about what tonight is going to be like!

Anyway, I'm thinking that he might have started to have a bit of a fear of his crib, so I'm trying to do more fun time (in crib) during the day.  He's also getting over a cold and trip to Grandma's house (both of which contributed to this in the first place).  My question is, should I do WI/WO with him?  I read somewhere that if it's seperation anxiety, this is not the best approach.  Last night, I sat outside his door with the door slightly open and talked calmly to him each time he stood up.  He actually laid back down when I told him it was "sleepy time".  I had to stay there for about 30 minutes though.  Do I continue with this, or try something else?

Thanks for any input!!!  God knows I need it!

Maggie

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Here's another one for you - please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 20:06:31 pm »
Hey Maggie, what you're doing sound perfect to me and it's exactly what i'd advice you to. 16-17 mo seems to be a rough age for sleep, be it for separation anxiety, teething and the many illnesses lo's seem to catch around that age.

If he's recovering (their little bodies take a while to be at 100%) he might need some extra reasurance and might be confused about what happened (environment changed with the trip, he was feeling poorly) so stay with him while he needs you, be sure he's healthy and is not in pain and he'll start to get better soon.

HTH and good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Diegos Mama

• Showing Appreciation 176
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 02:33:52 am »
I think you need to identify what is at the root of the problem.  As Florencia mentioned, teething and Separation Anxiety are major culprits at this age!  I've found WI/WO not to be a good tool for SA, rather stay with him until he falls asleep, then wean off the amount of time you stay.  There are some other posts on this forum that deal with SA and have gotten some detailed replies on how to handle it.  I'd have a scan through the first page of the forum to see if you find replies that may be applicable to your situation.
Laura

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:33:17 am »
If he's able to settle with you outside his door, that's wonderful and I would keep it up, especially since he hasn't been feeling well and is still getting better.