Author Topic: Need help on early waking please  (Read 1812 times)

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
Need help on early waking please
« on: December 23, 2006, 08:22:40 am »
Oh Ive missed these boards,

PLease help my dd wakes at 5-5.30 every morning since she was born. Im at my wits end, here is our routine.

5-5.30 wake and cry for me - I go in and lay on floor with her (I read this here somewhere and have been doing it for 4 weeks) she does resettle with me and sleeps for between and hour more)
not always as she is getting more awake and just wants to play.
6.30 or 7 bf
8 breakfast
9.30 1st nap (anywhere from 1 - 1 1/2 hours)
11 bf
12 lunch
1.30 - 2 nd nap (sometimes 1 hour but getting shorter)
3 bf and snacks
5 supper
6 bathtime routine
6.30 bf and bed
 she goes down very easily for naps and bedtime, unless teething or ill

Now do I move from 2-1 naps, sometimes if we have visitors (i dont do this often) she wont sleep and is awake 5 hours before bed. This seems too long and the  she wakes even earlier 4.30.

Ive tried pd, but i couldnt handle the crying - Im doing his alone - hubby has very stressful work hours - nvevr at home 24hour working days. I cant complain she sleeps through the night no problem. Also when she wakes from sleep am or naps she cries to be picked up - I have tried sitting by crib and encouring her - distractnig her with toys and sometimes it works sometimes not, how do I get her to play incrib till I comeand get her. Could separation anxiety be playing apart with dad having such hetcic hours. I have also never left her alone SAHM. or with anyone for that matter. Please if anyone can shed some light here I ill try anything once.  ???  I have not tried wake to sleep, is she too old for that?

Thank you for reading sorry so long, any advise much appreciated.

Robyn

andibig

Re: Need help on early waking please
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 09:18:34 am »
robyn
i don't think (IMO) shes ready for 1 nap yet.if she isn't fighting either nap then shes not ready to drop them. 11 hours at night is pretty good and since shes going to bed at 6.30 i'm not suprised shes waking at 5.30am (IYKWIM)
sasha had a very similar routine but her nap was 1hour in the morning (started at the same time at your LO) but her pm nap was at 2 pm for 1.5 hours.
i think the reason her pm nap may be getting shorter is it may need to be moved a little later (possibly not tired to sleep any longer?).
have you tried moving her bedtime later gradually either
HTH
Andrea

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 09:45:33 am »
I have to agree with a 6.30pm bedtime, in the BW book Tracy talks about how you can't expect an early bedtime & a late sleep
I'd have to agree with the pp, I'd move the pm nap to 2/2.30pm & maybe try for 7pm bedtime in the hope that brings wakeup closer to 6/6.30.
But honestly in 24 hours she is getting close to what a 12mo needs, 13.75 is average & looks like she gets about 13.5, so very much in the normal range.
if delaying the pm nap & possibly even the am nap, don't shift her clock in the next 3 weeks (takes about that long to work with some children) then she may well be close to being able to go one nap, my ds#2 was able to every 2nd day at about 13mo.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 18:38:59 pm »
thanks ladies will do that, 7pm bedtime increased gradually over three weeks or so. Im sure this will work, I have been wanting to do it, guess I just needed to come here and get confirmation. Im sure this will sort the rest out too. They grow so fast she started walking today Im so proud of her, Thanks again will keep you posted. And have a wonderful christmas and new year.

Im sure Ill be back again soon.

shimzy

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 19:04:10 pm »
Robyn,

Typically a 1 year old gets about 11.5 hours at night and 2.25 during the day, so a total of 14.25-14.5 hours of sleep in 24 hours. Here is the link on typical sleep ranges: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=3195.0

Here are a couple of routine examples for 1 yr plus that are going for the 2-1 nap switch. Here is the link on how to switch from 2 to 1 nap. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=59266.0

Wake at 7ish
E 0730 - 8 -
A
S 1030 more like a catnap 30 mins to 1 hr

E1200
A
S 2:30-3:30 (wake no later than 3:30)

E 400
A
E 630

S 730

Some are ready for 1 nap at 1 year old, some are not. Some wait until 15-16 months old.

If the afternoon nap is getting shorter, I would cut the morning nap time down, and bring the afternoon nap closer to 1pm.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 19:06:06 pm by shimzy »

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 19:20:41 pm »
Thanks shimzy, will try that too. Also my lo  always wakes seeming unhappy, she is always disgruntled apon waking, how can I fix this? She plays in her crib and goes down easy. I havent let her cry it out. I dont believe in that. Any ideas as to why she does this, usually 4 or 5 waa's and im there.

Any suggestions??

shimzy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 19:25:08 pm »
robyn, it may just be her disposition. some babies wake grouchy, some wake up happy, some fall somewhere in between and take a bit to acclimate to waking up. have you take the test to see where your lo lies? Here is the link to that quiz: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 19:39:34 pm »
She is and angel/textbook baby. I also have tracys books, theyve been such a help, I think im really over looking something. I used to give her breast on waking but stopped that about 1 and a half months ago, but even then the waa's. I go in all chirpy, well not for the morning waking then i go in quietly and whisper. There must be something i can do. shouldnt she be happy shes all rested.

shimzy

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 19:51:10 pm »
not necessarily. my son is and was an angel baby through and through. he woke quite grumpy in the mornings and took about 15 mins to 'wake up'. he would watch some cartoons on his own first thing in the am, then eat breakfast, then he became more sociable.

Definitely though the separation anxiety starts about this age. My son never went through it really as it was in daycare from 8 months old.

There are a couple of threads on the board about SA and how to deal with it. I hope you find something there to help you out.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65193.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62612.0'

A couple of things to think about too. Is your lo using a pacifer? Is your lo cold when waking up? Is your lo able to locate her lovie (if lo has one) to soothe oneself? Is your lo breaking through one year molars?

I know when my son was breaking through teeth he would wake up in a really foul mood.

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 19:58:52 pm »
she sucks her thumb, never liked a dummy. She doesnt have a lovie either, believe me i tried, she just pushes it away or throuws it out the crib. thanks for the threads will check that out.

andibig

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 09:11:05 am »
robyn
has she always cried upon waking?if so then as pp said this is probably just part of her personality.Sasha def takes after DH in that respect -no point talking to DH upon waking until he's had his coffee-and DD needs a few mins or so to wake up until she feels sociable LOL
if it is something that has started recently then it could be SA,teething or a sign that LO needs more sleep (which may mean the 2-1 nap transition)

Offline robynfuller

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • South Africa
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 07:42:32 am »
well I thought i would update you all. I have pushed her bedtime back in 15 min increments so she now is in bed just after 7pm and guess what she woke at 6:20 today - yoohoo. her wake times just started moving later, 5:30, 5:40, 5:50 and so on, thank you all for your input. I am just going to keep being consistent and hold thumbs for 7am even though I am super ecstsatic about 6:20am wake up it is sooo much better than 5:00am. Her daytime naps are now at 9:20am for 50min-1 hr and afternoon nap at 2:00pm for 50min -1hr (I wake her if she sleeps longer than 3:00pm. Thank you ladies you are always so helpful.
Have a splendid new year.
robyn

shimzy

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 13:59:10 pm »
yay!! glad the mornings are getting better for you  ;D