Author Topic: Concerned about 26 MO and naps  (Read 969 times)

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Concerned about 26 MO and naps
« on: December 23, 2006, 21:28:29 pm »
DS has always been terrible at going down for a nap. He has one every day at nursery (they have to cuddle him to sleep) but at home at the weekend, it can be such a battle than we usually let him sleep in the car

I've been arguing with DH today about DS been ready to drop his nap:

- I say 26 MO is too young and I am concerned about no naps affecting nighttime sleep
- He says that if he has to drive round for DS to fall asleep (and it can take awhile) then surely DS does not really need the nap

DS's only dropped the naps on two occasions, today being such a day, and he went down at 7.30 pm today with no trouble compared to his 9 - 9.30 pm. There was no crankiness but we made sure that the whole day was kept low-key in case he crashed before 7 pm.

Our routine is:

- up 7.30 - 8.15 am
- nap by 1.30 for up to 2 hours
- lights out by 8.30 - takes up to 1 hour to fall asleep but it has been known to last until 10  >:(

DH would prefer DS to skip the nap and go to bed early. Do you think he's got a valid argument ?
We are now going to be at home for 9 days and I dread the thought of going without naps
TIA

Offline beamama

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • San Jose, California, USA
Re: Concerned about 26 MO and naps
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 22:08:43 pm »
HI Sophie!
My ds was about that age when he stopped napping and it was heartbreaking!
We did, however, insist on quiet time in his room (and still do when we can--he's 5 now!  :)).
He did have some wacky sleep for a time but I think it was a combination of giving up the pacifier, moving to a big bed, night terrors,  and dropping the nap.
You may want to chart his sleep and see how it goes. If it causes disruption in his nighttime sleep then you can re-evaluate.
I remember Leslie (Theosmom) letting him have quiet time on the couch and that worked well for her. But I think quiet time is a really good thing if you can keep him in his room. That way if he is tired and needs a nap then he may be more inclined to fall asleep.
Objectively speaking, I always thought 2 years old was too young to give up naps but we can't force them to sleep all we can do is set up the structure and routine for them to be able to if they need to.
good luck and hang in there--I can totally relate and it's such a bummer when they give up the nap!
Bea
la mamá de Joseph, María y Monica

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 22:15:34 pm »
Is it possible to wake at 7.30 am, then have a nap from 12-1 and then bed at 7.30?

If he sleeps until 3.30 there is no way he can go back to sleep at 8, DS is 14 months and can make it fine from 1.30pm until 7.30...

If he refuses to nap or it gets too late for the nap or he isn't tired enough at night I would just not do it... Sometimes mummy needs the nap more than child  ;)