Author Topic: Allergy to Rice cereal  (Read 1158 times)

Offline bensmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Allergy to Rice cereal
« on: December 26, 2006, 10:12:22 am »
Just wondering to all those who have babies allergies to foods, what type of reactions did they have.  My DS2 started rice cereal 2 weeks ago and by day 7 he developed blister like sores  :'(which progressed to peeling open sores the size of loonies (the canadian dollar for those who don't know). He didn't seem to be bothered by them except when we would treat them with hydrocortisone. We have since stopped the cereal to see what happens.  We are pretty sure this may be an allergic reaction but have suspected eczema since he also has this, although I have never seen eczema like this before.  Any thoughts out there?
Michelle-
Mom to Benjamin 26/02/04 and Joshua 13/07/06

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Allergy to Rice cereal
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 16:09:38 pm »
Definitely could be a food reaction. I'd hold off on rice cereal for at least two weeks and see if the sores clear up - no need for your DS to be on rice cereal if he reacts badly to it.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline bensmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 18:40:24 pm »
When would you start any other new food....after the 2 weeks?
Michelle-

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 19:27:30 pm »
Once the sores are all cleared up and he seems healthy I'd try something new - offering it in the morning only for at least 4 days (maybe 7) before trying a new food. My DD couldn't handle any grains until about 8 months - she had success with some fruits first actually. You could also just wait until your DS is 6 months and try again.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline bensmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 17:08:35 pm »
update: Took DS2 to Dr today and it turns out he does not have an allergy but bullous impetigo.  Glad we can restart solids again. I think the little guy is missing them.
Michelle-