Author Topic: Berries and other highly allergic foods question  (Read 967 times)

Offline nwmm

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Berries and other highly allergic foods question
« on: December 27, 2006, 14:51:57 pm »
Hello.

I need to take the conservative approach to feeding solids due to food allergies in the family.  (Some people do not so I feel I must share that.)  When can I introduce berries?  I have a 1 year old.

Based on age, what should I wait on?  I need to wait on eggs and peanuts.  What else should I be aware of?

Is citrus fruit okay to give at this age?

Thank you!

Offline murphy1967

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Berries and other highly allergic foods question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:51 am »
strawberries and citrus are big allergens so definitely don't try those.  Other berries I'm unsure about.  Good luck!

Offline nwmm

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 13:33:51 pm »
Thank you.  Anyone know when to try strawberries?

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 14:12:53 pm »
hi there
dh & I have allergies (but not food ones) so we were told to avoid certain foods. Hopefully I can help you here.
Strawberries- we were told to avoid until after 12 months (dd has now had strawberry yoghurt & was fine with that but I have not been brave enough to try a raw strawberry yet!) I think raspberries & blackberries fall into the same family but are not as much a "typical" allergen as strawberries
Blueberries- these are part of the cranberry family so don't have the same allergic properties. They are fine to try, we introduced them as finger foods at about 8/9 months and dd LOVES them. They are classed as a superfood- very good for you!
Citrus/ pineapple- we waited until about 11 months before trying these, although had no official guidance. DD loves pineapple and chunks are good as finger food. She doesn't like oranges so I will wait a while and try again. No reactions though. I tihnk 12 months is the official line for those with food allergies.
Peanuts- we have been advised to wait until she is 3 yrs before trying nuts including peanut butter. This is standard in the UK for any babies with allergies in the family.
Eggs- don't know as they haven't been an issue for us.

Can't think of anything else to avoid- hope this helps
kathryn x
]

Offline nwmm

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 14:16:39 pm »
You have helped tons!  Thanks so much!