Author Topic: Am I deprieving my toddler????  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Gippie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 02:47:10 am »
Agree about the bugs.   The Ped said that exposure does build immunity.    Quinn had a few colds when she started daycare and she has definitly had a great 2 months.....although it could be theat she is there so much less.....3-4 hours per week....but it doesnt take much.....

I do use a shopping cart cover though....the one time I didnt  - I SWEAR it was the time she got Hand foot and mouth - thats my theory and I am sticking to it!    We also use a high chair cover...i used to work in a restuarant and they are not cleaned....well enough!!!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Am I deprieving my toddler????
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 02:55:29 am »
Children on average get 6-12 colds per year. Here in Australia there has been shown to be a strong correlation to children not getting sick in their first year of life & the higher incidence of allergy & asthma when they get older... "infantile" asthma (which my ds#1 has found in 0/1-5yo has something like an 80% chance of them growing out of it & tends to be more genetic)

While it is a pain to have a sick child, lack of exposure to "pathogens" (germs) doesn't give the immune system a chance to be stimulated & can make it more likely to react "to self" with autoimmune diseases.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 04:14:23 am »
thank you for the info kate.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 16:55:32 pm »
I agree.  We do know that Zach's antibodies are low.  He had tons of test done recently at the Children's Hospital and that was one thing they were concerned about.  SO...  We are going to an Immunologist January 23rd. 

Since his antibodies are low (for whatever reason), that is why he catches everything out there.

I use the shopping cart cover also and LOVE it. 

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!