Author Topic: baby rice  (Read 947 times)

Offline blondie10

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 29, 2006, 12:05:13 pm »
Is it possible to be intolerant to baby rice? I know that you can be intolerant to rice cereal - is this the same thing?

My DS recently started baby rice mixed with formula and since then has had very runny frequent poos and a VERY sore bum :(. I thought the sore bum was due to the frequent poos but reading some of these posts that sounds like a reaction to the rice? I stopped the baby rice and he has improved loads and am just starting giving fruit, but was going to mix the fruit with the baby rice. Any suggestions as to any alternatives that I could try?

Thanks

Offline blondie10

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:51:19 am »
baby is 20 weeks old. I have stopped giving the rice and he has improved loads so I think he may be intolerant. Will try again when he is a bit older and just stick to fruit and veg at the minute.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: baby rice
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 15:20:02 pm »
Totally agree with Stacy. In fact, my LO couldn't tolerate any solids until 7 months and no grains until after 8 months.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Re: baby rice
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 16:11:46 pm »
Most brands of rice cereal contain soy (and soy is a fairly common allergen).  Can you find a soy-free rice cereal, like Beechnut? 
Sheila
ng

Offline blondie10

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 09:01:43 am »
Hi I think it was definitely the baby rice cos he is still eating pear and apple and his nappies are back to normal with no sore bum. I have looked at the ingredients and is just rice with thiamin added, not actually a rice cereal, which is why I asked if there was a difference. I thought baby rice was pure rice and rice cereal had more stuff in it, which it obviously does if it contains soy. Will try the rice when he is a bit older and just stick to fruit and veg for now.

Thanks for your help.