Author Topic: When to stop milk?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Georges Dad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When to stop milk?
« on: December 29, 2006, 19:14:17 pm »
Hi.

Our little boy is almost 15 months old now and his formula milk feeds have now dropped to one in the morning, and one before bedtime. In addition, the ratio of formula to cow's milk (organic only) has dropped so that he is only having 35ml of formula out of 210ml in total; the rest being cow's milk.

He normally devours the one in the morning, but just lately he will only drink very little of his evening bottle. We try to make sure he drinks plenty of water during the day (which he does) so we are not concerned about his fluid intake, but is it normal for a child of this age to start to want less and less milk?

Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 19:32:13 pm »
DS went off formula at 14 months, I tell you it is best to keep going as long as possible, it is easier I think.
It is hard to be sure at night if Scotty had enough calcium  for instance... With the formula that was better...

Offline Georges Dad

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: When to stop milk?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 19:35:58 pm »
DS went off formula at 14 months, I tell you it is best to keep going as long as possible, it is easier I think.
It is hard to be sure at night if Scotty had enough calcium  for instance... With the formula that was better...

Thanks.

That's pretty much why I thought I'd throw the question out to all you good people. We'd like to keep him drinking it, but what can you do? We can't force feed him it, and like I say, he is drinking the one in the morning so it doesn't seem to be the actual milk itself.

Maybe he just isn't as thirsty some evenings. I suppose there is always that possibility.

Cheers

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 19:39:03 pm »
Hi there! Is he more tired than normal? When DS is really tired he 'cant be bothered' with his bottle if u see what I mean? Also have u tried doing dinner a tad earlier? maybe he just isnt hungry for it...this is all IF u want to re establish the pm bottle, otherwise i think its fine at 14 mos too!

Offline Georges Dad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 20:06:51 pm »
Hi there! Is he more tired than normal? When DS is really tired he 'cant be bothered' with his bottle if u see what I mean? Also have u tried doing dinner a tad earlier? maybe he just isnt hungry for it...this is all IF u want to re establish the pm bottle, otherwise i think its fine at 14 mos too!

Thanks.

He doesn't seem too tired for it, though on some occasions that might be the case thinking about it. He has his evening meal 1.5 - 2 hours before his milk so he shouldn't be full up. He still has room for an organic biscuit or two!!

If it's not too much of a worry at that age then we won't worry about it too much either. We just want to make sure he gets enough calcium in him. He is our little soldier after all!

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 20:14:31 pm »
good for you! Only other thing I cn think of is to reduce amount of am bottle as sometimes this effects total milk intake!
HTH

Offline Georges Dad

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 20:33:52 pm »
good for you! Only other thing I cn think of is to reduce amount of am bottle as sometimes this effects total milk intake!
HTH

Thank you.

Not sure what HTH means, but I'll take it as a positive!

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 20:39:55 pm »
HTH Hope That Helps