Author Topic: Turning 1 - mom needs advice for party  (Read 1330 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Turning 1 - mom needs advice for party
« on: December 29, 2006, 19:59:22 pm »
Linnea turns 1 in a week! We're doing a Dora party. There will be about 15 adults and 10 kids ranging in age from 12 months to 12 years.  Do people do loot bags at a one-year old's party? And if so, what do I put in there ???  As this is my first, I've never thrown a kid's party before, so I feel completely lost. Don't want all the kids to go bored and go home empty handed and say that was the worst b-day party they'd ever been to!!!  Thanks in advance.

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: Turning 1 - mom needs advice for party
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 20:00:50 pm »
yikes! i tried to do a 'party bag' as we call them but found it a tough one!
For the younger kids maybe a little toy of some sort and some finger food like crackers?
Older kids the usual, candy, goodies etc!

Offline maxysmum

• Steph mummy to Max and Loen
  • Showing Appreciation 145
  • my babies
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 20:04:04 pm »
Hi, For Max's birthday/christening party in oct I supplied lots of toys and books plus a ball pit and loads of balloons the kids had a great time, I gave out goody bags and put in each: a rusk biscuit, packet of white chocolate buttons, a box of raisins, a balloon, bubbles and a teddy from the 99p store.

HTH Have fun

Love

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 21:06:58 pm »
we did loot bags for our ds's first birthday and did different things for the big kids than for the little ones... big ones were easier to buy for in the pound/dollar store where you could find cheap bangles, little soldiers with rubbery/slimey feet that "walked" down walls, bouncy balls, etc.  little ones got bubbles, snacks (100 % fruit juice sweetened stuff), pinwheels, etc.

we held ours in a playzone that could be rented for private as our house is just too small... next year might be at a swimming pool!

HTH!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 03:31:26 am »
We got one at a party that instead of a bag it was a bucket with a shovel in it -- also some baby-friendly crackers, bubbles, stickers, and a notepad.  I got some play-doh in one from a different party as well.  Have fun :)

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 11:08:03 am »
For Harvey and Theo's 1st birthday we did cups instead of bags.

I bought kids keepsake plastic cups (with pictures of characters on) filled them and put them into clear bags and tied them with ribbon.  For Theo's though I got clear cups and Christmas bags.  I put bubbles, a little treat, a balloon, small gift, crayons and small colouring book (very small). Or print off a few Dora pictures and put them in seen as Dora is he Theme, but you could print off Diego for the boys. lol

Rhian

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 01:18:47 am »
Thank you all for the great ideas. I've actually found a place in Toronto where you can buy prepared loot bags (I'm all for the convenience of it all!), so that's what I'm going with. 

Now I'd love to have some ideas for how to keep the kids busy. There will be two 18-month olds, two 3-yr olds, and four between 5-8. Any ideas on how to make sure they stay happy?  I'm sure the 18-months olds will be happy with dd's toys, but the other ones might be tricky...

Thanks again!

maria

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 04:34:01 am »
hi Maria, how did the party go?
I am planning one for my son who turns 1 on Jan 30th----to be honest I'm a bit nervous. There will be about 15adults, 3 kids under 1 yr, and my 2 nieces who are 2 and 4.

I am planning it for about anytime after 3:30pm (hopefully after a decent nap)and will be serving some food and cake etc. I am hopeing everyone will be gone by 6pm at the latest. I haven't sent out invitations yet--maybe I should?  Is it rude to indicate on the phone 3:30pm-5:30pm?? its mostlty family and you know how that gets.
Don't really want DS to get overstimulated/ovetired and of course would like to preserve our 7pm bedtime.
did your daughter do ok with these issues?
what kind of cake did you make?  I was thinking of making 3 different kinds (white, choco,carrot)and decorating them like blocks.??
did you open the gifts right away or wait until a lttle later? I think guests would like to see ds open the gifts but isn't it a bit much?
how did the party bags go over? were they worth it or necessary?

sorry for all the crazy questions, how can you tell I'm a bit nervous?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 16:25:50 pm »
Hi, I can tell you about our experience with our LO's first birthday.  We sent out invitations - I would probably do so too, just to get the time frame in everybody's head.  Plus then you'll have a nice keepsake of the day if you keep an extra one.  We didn't open the gifts until after the party, didn't seem like there was time during the party.  No one seemed to mind that though.  We had one big cake, but I would do whatever you want to.  We didn't have party bags, but I think I would have done them if I could do it over again.  We had planned cake right before her bedtime, but things got late in a hurry and she actually passed out in my arms right after the cake -- got to bed about an hour later, and aside from one wake up did ok with sleep that night.  So we didn't preserve our routine well at all, but we did have a great time :)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 16:34:11 pm »
Her party went off without a hitch, I'm pleased to say. We too had banked on a good afternoon nap and had a later start (4 p.m.) for the party. It worked like a charm - she slept from 1:30-3:30 and was ready to party!  We had appetizers when people showed up and served dinner, which we had catered (lasagne - good for kids and adults alike, chicken parm, vegetables and potatoes) at 5 around DD's usual dinner time.  We had one big cake, Dora, and it was great seeing DD dip her fingers in there.  She did really well throughout the whole thing.  We had planned on opening the gifts after the party, but some guests insisted on wanting to see the gift opening (I never got that, but oh well), so we obliged at around 7-ish. I opened one gift and DD was clearly ready to crash, so she went to bed at 7:30, her usual bedtime and slept without a fuss all night through. The gift bags were absolutely worth it and very much appreciated by all.  I had a little activity corner for the 5-8 yr old girls, where they did colouring and beading.  Punch balloons were great to have around.  Even DD got it right away and loved them.  Also had a video game 'station' set up for the older kids. Oh, as for invites, we did an email invite, which worked fine, but of course there is no memento to keep.  By the way - you can't take too many photos or too much video!!! I thought we did lots, but still would have liked much more!!!  Good luck and don't fret too much - have fun!!!

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 16:45:08 pm »
ok thanks for the tips!
I've given everyone the heads up about the date etc, I think I'll work on invitations today, as you guys said---they are nice mementos and I think the family will appreciate them.  maybe 4-6pm would work best.
I'll also have to think about some sort of party bag!!!! and keep on planning that cake
you guys are right, this will be FUN!!
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013