Author Topic: Please help - 6 month old waking at night  (Read 886 times)

Offline talea

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help - 6 month old waking at night
« on: December 30, 2006, 20:29:40 pm »
How old is your child? 6 months
What’s his/her daily routine?
Wake at 9 am (offer breast but as she's fed during the night she's not interested)
10:00am breakfast (porridge)
10:45 am bf
11:00 am nap for 30 - 45 mins
12:00 lunch
13:30 nap for 30-45 mins
15:00 bf
16:30 nap for 30 mins
17:30 supper
18:30 bf
19:15 bedtime and bf before bed
What’s nap routine? She normally has a nap after 2 hours of awake time.  We go upstairs, I close the curtains, put on a lullaby and cuddle her for a few minutes.  Then she's in her cot and pat shhh until she falls asleep
How long are naps? varies tremendously. Somedays she will sleep 10 mins and some days an hour or more.  Mostly 30 - 45 mins
What's bedtime routine? Bf, story, bath, bf bed Time? 7:15 pm although it can take her up to 30 mins to fall asleep
Do you bottle or breastfed?? breastfeed
How much? or how long?
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) one side
How many wakes per night? varies Can be 2 or 3 times on a good night and 6 or more on a bad night
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Varies.  If she wakes before midnight, she's easier to settle, after midnight she can be up for hours or she could just feed and go straight back to sleep
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  She starts out fussing and then escalates until proper crying
What have you tried to settle?? If she wakes before midnight, I do pat shh or if she's frantic then I cuddle her.  If she wakes after midnight I feed her and if she doesn't settle after that then we do pat shh or cuddling.
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  She has lots of floor time, she's trying to crawl.  She's a spirited baby so she's into everything!  It's about 2 or 3 hours at a time.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  She has 3 teeth with another one coming.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  Probably me although I am trying to get her to go to sleep without me as much as possible.
Do they have a lovie? No

My dd slept through the night from 5½ weeks until about 17 weeks.  Since then she's been a nightmare at night.  As you can see from the above, she wakes pretty often.  Although I have recently seen that waking soon after going to bed is a sign of overtiredness so I made her bedtime 30 mins earlier and that seems to be helping.  She still wakes at least 2 or 3 times after midnight though and she won't hear of going back to sleep without a feed.   I am not sure if she's waking out of habit and needs me to feed her to get her back to sleep or if she is actually hungry.  I don't mind feeding her if she's hungry because I figure that eventually she's going to stop being hungry at night (isn't she?) I have in the last 4 weeks been doing pat shh to get her to sleep for her naps and for her bedtime and it's starting to work quite nicely the last 2 nights but there has been no improvement in either the length of her daytime naps nor in her nighttime sleep.

Any ideas as to what is going on with her or what I could try to improve the situation?

Thanks

Leslie
You need chaos inside to give birth to a dancing star

Offline Anthea01Charlie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Who's a little nudie?
Re: Please help - 6 month old waking at night
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 23:49:57 pm »
I didn't know that waking soon after going down is a sign of over tiredness!  My bib goes down at 7pm then stirs / wakes at 9pm!!  I am going to give the early to bed a go!! 
I have started the PU/PD for night wakings and found it hard the first night but it's getting progressivly easier.  I dont feel that I am in a position to offer advice as I am having troubles too, but if she used to sleep thru and is now waking I would increase her daytime feeds and use pat shh at night.  I have hear horror stories of bubs waking during the night for feeds until 2 yrs!!  Good luck
~Anthea~
Mum to Charlie born 05/07/2006

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Please help - 6 month old waking at night
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 18:08:50 pm »
Firstly, you definitely need to get onto a 4 hour EASY. Your routine is sort of all over the place right now and more of a 3 hour. That should help a lot with the naps and also with the wakes once things iron out and she adjusts. Consistency is key, so stick with it! If it helps you can check the EASY forum for sample routines.

I also think you should consider ending the night feed. If it's affecting that first feed of the day then it might be time.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o