Author Topic: Why want my 16 mo not go to bed until 9:00/10:00 at night now?  (Read 784 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Why want my 16 mo not go to bed until 9:00/10:00 at night now?
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:55:43 am »
My lo is almost 17 mos old.  We are on 1 nap a day that work great.  He has recently gotten over a few illnesses, but is much better now.

Anyhow for the past week or so (since he got out of the hospital), he has not been going to bed until 10:00 at night.  The weird thing is, He is NOT fussy at all or whinny like he is tired.  I always try laying him down about 8:00 after our normal bedtime routine which is brush teeth, say goodnight to all the pics on the wall. 

Now he just lays in his crib and screams until you go and get him.

Here is what our normal day looks like:  Maybe he is getting to much daytime sleep and that is why he does not want to go to bed earlier??????

Wake: 7:30/8:00 - Sippy Cup
Breakfast:
Snack:
Lunch (sometimes)
Nap: Anywhere between 11:00 and 12:30 (he ALWAYS lets you know when he is ready) NO fuss at all here.

Sleeps about 3 hours

Wake: Lunch or snack
Dinner
Bath
Play
Bed lately about 9:00/10:00 :-0

For example the other night he screamed and screamed and I went and got him and all he wanted to do was play.  He was not fussy at all.  Then I tried again about 30  minutes to an hour later and he went right to sleep no problem.

Should I stick with a bedtime and stick it out OR just go with his lead.  When he is tired, he has no problem going to sleep.

Thanks, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

Re: Why want my 16 mo not go to bed until 9:00/10:00 at night now?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:04:12 am »
Hi Wendy,

I think a lot of kids are getting around 13 hours total at that age, so if he is having three during the day, he may only want 10 at night. Have you tried waking him from his nap after 2 hours?