Author Topic: Independent Play  (Read 725 times)

Offline Barons Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Ashley E. Rodriguez Artisan Sweets
Independent Play
« on: January 02, 2007, 06:51:34 am »
My 8 month old is adorable and has a very friendly personality. We get stopped all the time but people who just want to "talk" to him. I'm sure you are all familiar with this as well. Also, he is so used to having so many people around with the holidays. Now we are trying to get our lives back in order. I set him down with toy while I try and get something done (i.e. lunch prepared) and a couple minutes later he starts crying. The second I interact with him he is fine. He could care less about his toys... he just wants people.
I love how happy he is with people but when it is just me and him all day... it makes it so hard to get anything done. Also I don't want to do any accidental parenting and teach him that he can get all the attention he needs/wants. But I also don't want to ignore him - well, I know I don't do that.
Any advice on encouraging some independence?
[url=http://lilypie.com][/ur

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:02:17 am »
At that age I made a alot of use of the highchair when I wanted something done. Also... try to buy some new toys (charity shops are great for that I think) then put them on the highchair and take him in the kitchen or living room or wherever you are with you and talk to him while you work. Whenever you need to go in the next room, just take him with you (safer as well). Kitchen utensils on his highchair are also a good idea, then he can "help" :)

Good luck!

Offline NikiJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 164
Re: Independent Play
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 15:52:54 pm »
I did the same :)

A highchair is great at that age.  A saucepan & spoon will keep him occupied & he can talk to you too.

Niki

Offline Barons Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Ashley E. Rodriguez Artisan Sweets
Re: Independent Play
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 17:27:43 pm »
Thanks... those are great ideas! My mom used to always let us play with the pots and pans... maybe that's why I am now a chef!  :)
[url=http://lilypie.com][/ur