Author Topic: Why do you have to stop your toddler from drinking formula?  (Read 20462 times)

Offline Bexmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diddabobbado!!
Re: Why do you have to stop your toddler from drinking formula?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 19:49:20 pm »

Plus, the comfort of how it`s presented may play an important role (bottle with a teat and such). You might find that if you offer her formula in a normal cup she`ll go off it, KWIM?

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe it's worth offering Bec her formula in a sippy cup so that she's not so bothered about it and then offering her new foods to try a bit of at a time.

Offline Bexmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diddabobbado!!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 19:50:42 pm »
I think this may be our last can.

That's good going!!!  :)

Offline ShellyB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 05:40:38 am »
My DD is lactose sensitive and our naturopath has limited her intake of meat to poultry and she has only organic brown rice as her grain (no cereal).  I've kept her on (soy) formula (16 oz/day) for the time being as I want to ensure she is getting enough calories (which is supposed to be approx 50 cal x body weight) (Reference:  Super BabyFood). I also give her an iron supplement, and in Canada, we are instructed by our docs to give Vit D supplements as well.  Her diet of mainly vegetables, soy protein-tofu, chicken and eggs) simply doesn't add up - so the formula is a good fortifier.

She is a great sleeper, and our naturopath attributes that to the lack of sugar in her diet. 

However, I can certainly see that this might be a problem in the long run, and I'll have to expand her diet in the near future.

Thanks for an interesting thread.  I've been wondering about the same thing.

Offline geoffreyandme

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Geoffrey
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 11:56:39 am »
The only way Geoffrey really starting eating solids is when I cut out formula. It was too filling for him and he would've rather just taken formula bottles then eat. I remember feeling like you do, but miraculously when i decided to stop the formula and stick to it then he started eating and i was relieved. Now, there are still times when he won't eat a ton...but it's usually down to teething, some other developmental issue or illness.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 13:21:34 pm »
My DD is lactose sensitive and our naturopath has limited her intake of meat to poultry and she has only organic brown rice as her grain (no cereal).  I've kept her on (soy) formula (16 oz/day) for the time being as I want to ensure she is getting enough calories (which is supposed to be approx 50 cal x body weight) (Reference:  Super BabyFood). I also give her an iron supplement, and in Canada, we are instructed by our docs to give Vit D supplements as well.  Her diet of mainly vegetables, soy protein-tofu, chicken and eggs) simply doesn't add up - so the formula is a good fortifier.

She is a great sleeper, and our naturopath attributes that to the lack of sugar in her diet. 

However, I can certainly see that this might be a problem in the long run, and I'll have to expand her diet in the near future.

Thanks for an interesting thread.  I've been wondering about the same thing.

I'm in Canada too. The Vit D is only for breastfed babies and its in the winter. Because of the lack of sunlight. Formula has enough vit D so its not needed for FF babies, where as breastmilk also doesn't have it so its needed for BF babies. Its also only for the first year.
Also make sure your doctor knows about the iron supliments, especially if the formula is iron fortified like most are, if your LO gets to much iron it can cause a lot of problems. Its a balencing act to make sure they have enough, but not to much. . After that a simple multi-vit is all they need.
I'm not sure how old your LO is, but it sounds like you really need to exand the diet a little. Though I could be missing something.
I've got the kid who if its in front of her its eaten. LOL Nothing lasts long here  ;D
We're "bad" parents. We give our LO fries, nuggets, burgers, from McDonalds and other fast food joints one a month or so, you should hear some of the remarks I hear about that one ::) , We also don't worry about her getting suger, she's had chocolate, cake, pie, many more sugery treats. But as just that, a treat, LO's need suger too, just not to much ;) I'll be honest it just doesn't worry me. Food is one of the lowest worries on my long list, as long as its balenced and she's eating I don't worry, anything I eat she can eat too.

Out of curiosity, why the restrictions when it comes to meats and grains? I not judging or anything  I am just confused I've never heard of that tight of a restriction before. 

As for the formula we switched mostly cause of the price, Formula is just WAY to expencive. But also because DD just didn't like the formula anymore. She prefered the food.
Kimberly