Author Topic: 11.5 month old sticks fingers down throat to point of vomitting at meal time.  (Read 6040 times)

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • And the Ma-ma bear says...
My LO is on all table food, never took to pureed anything except Yogurt and apple sauce.  Is self feeding and can use a toddler fork to get food into her mouth, but can't "load up" the bite onto the fork.  so even though she's not a "toddler" yet it seemed more appropriate to post my concern here.  She's generally a decent eater.

The last 2 -3 weeks she has gotten into the habit of sticking her fingers in her mouth and making herself gag.  I pull her down out several times and after a minute or two of continuing this behavior she stops and we continue on normally with meal time or a few times I've said, "okay, you must be all done"

Even though I warned my MIL (her caretaker while I'm at work) that Jules was doing this, today she actually made herself vomit while Sue left her side to wash her hands and wasn't able to make her stop.  I found this horrifying.  I'm not sure why she's doing it and I don't know how to remedy the problem.  She's not traumatized by it when it happens, she just goes on like nothing happened.  Almost like she's unaware she's doing it.  Even when she's in the process of gagging she doesn't take her hand away.  It's awful.  I have to pull her hand out and tell her to stop it several times before she gives up on it. 

What should I do?

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
She's doing it 'cos she can  ;) Ryan went through a phase of this and as horrible as it is your best bet is to ignore it , the novelty will wear off ! The more you stop her and ask her not to , the more she will want to do it as she's getting the desired attention .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
my son did the same thing..but it was after lunch....a bit after...in his crib..Id put him in for some independent play..and Id go in a minute or 2 later and there would be vomit everywhere.
It really bothered me that he did it...like your lo, it didn't seem to affect mine either.
It was a phase..was an on and off thing..and it stopped within a month and a half to 2....
I think maybe they are just realizing by doing A they get B.....experimenting.
I just tried to keep an eye out for it...and would entertain his hands with something else..you won't catch it everytime..but we can try!
Good luck!
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Hi there, I am not really able to tell you "what to do" but just to let you know that my lo #1 did exactly the same thing. I just thought maybe she has discovered a new "feeling" (that is, the sensation of almost vomiting - as horrible as it sounds, it is still all new to them). To be honest, I didn't do much about it as she didn't seem bothered by the whole thing either (but then again she had never actually made herself vomit - well not yet anyway). I noticed though that when she starts doing something new (like shoving fingers down her throat or banging her head against the wall to get what she wants), I tell her not to do it but I don't really make it into a "big" thing and the novelty wears off and she stops doing it.

Just my 2 cents
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
Thanks.  It's so funny though, most of the time I sit right in front of her at mealtimes and eat myself.  Talking to her and offering her bits of my food and asking her for bites of hers (even though I don't get them yet, and am not sure I want them, really.)  I don't understand why she seems to want MORE attention.  I guess they want as much attention and reaction as they can get from you it seems.  So it makes sense. 

So, do I just ignore it entirely?  Aside from cleaning her up if she should vomit, obviously. 
How long did your LO do this?  It's not a fun phase at all.

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
I must have posted at the same time as the last 2.  Thanks.  I thought my kid was a freak.  My MIL had never heard of a baby doing this and was also horrified. 
Well, I guess we'll just wait it out.  Glad to hear my baby isn't really "bulimic" and is just learning how her body works I guess.  Tee-hee.

And the fun goes on and on.

~Patty

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
I didn't totally ignore it , i tried my best just to distract him from doing it without saying " Don't do that , Stop that e.tc ! I tried to do something that involved him using his hands to distract him from what he was doing . I wouldn't say she wants more attention , she's doing it because she has learnt how , i meant by you trying to make her stop she was getting attention and she will pick up on it .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline jules_is_cute

• BW Devotee
Oh I get it.  that's exactly what I am ding to...pulling her hand away and saying "stop that" or "why are you doing that?"  But I'll just stop her, keep a straight face, and distract her from now on.

She also does other things for a stronger than usual reaction from me...hits me, pinches me, (bites at the end of a nursing, though not hard thank god, just a nibble, like hey I'm done Ma!)  She's quite y.

Thanks for the help again.