Author Topic: cio or crescendo?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline marijke

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • tibe
Re: cio or crescendo?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 09:10:49 am »
Last night he did it again! After his feed of 3.00 am he woke about every 1/2 hour I think  >:( I even let him cry one time until he stopped himself (but I don't think he was in distress...). I wonder if he could have been rested because yesterday he slept a lot, more than he's ever done:
E 7.30 am
S 8.45 - 11 am
E 11.30 am
S 1 - 3 pm
E 3.30 pm
S 4.30-5.50 pm
E 7 pm
S 7.50-11.10 pm
E 11.15 pm
S 11.30-2.30 pm
E 3.00 pm
Do you have any suggestions about this?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 16:12:19 pm »
Holy crap, that IS a lot of day sleep!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline marijke

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • tibe
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 17:22:53 pm »
I know, but I thought babies of his age (4.5 months) need to do 2 naps of 1.75 h and 1 of 1.5 h so that's 5 h in total (I found this on this website!)? So I just let him sleep, because it seemed he needed it. Today he slept only 3.5 h in total so I hope tonight will be better...
So he could be catching up on sleep? Because that's a lot of sleep in 4.5 months... I hope he catches up at night  ;)

Offline Hayden's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 20:52:54 pm »
I thought this was the normal amount of sleep for a child this age -- my 3.5 mth old sleeps this long during the day and wakes up all the time at night.  I was following the book's schedule for nap times and nap frequency.  I wake my son after 1.5 hrs of nap - he takes 3 naps of 1.5 hrs and then a catnap around 5 .  Could this be why he wakes up 3-5 times a night?  Suggestions?

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 05:20:55 am »
It might be, You probably could go to 3 naps of 1.5 or even 2 naps of 1.5 and one of 1 hour by this age. But this is all dependent on the child. Some children just need more sleep. It can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work then at least you'll know.
Kimberly

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 05:25:33 am »
My DS always needed more sleep than most, and if that's the case it's totally fine. Just be sure that it's that and not just a habit, KWIM?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline marijke

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • tibe
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 07:27:23 am »
Most of the time he takes 2 naps of 1 to 1.5 hours, and sometimes a catnap (can be 1 hour). This 2 hour naps were really exceptionnel. Yesterday he had 3.5 h sleep during the day but tonight was terrible again. Nightfeed at 1.40 and then waking from 3.30 until dh got him up at 5.30. At 7.30 I put him to bed and like the last 2 days he screamed himself to sleep (I really think this are crescendos? could this mean he's overstimulated or overtired, because of poor night's sleep???). What could be causing this sleep pattern? Is he trying to find a routine himself now the meds are working? It's even worse now then before!

Offline marijke

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • tibe
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 11:52:43 am »
HELP! Last night he did it AGAIN! Was up at 3.30, talking to himself until 4.30. Then started to cry, gave him paci, was quiet until 4.50. Then he wanted to eat so fed him. Then quiet until 5.30, got up at 6.30. What could be causing this? Is it a developmental thing? He will be 5 months in 2 days. Naps were 1 h straight and 2.5 hour with a lot of interruptions.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
HELP! Last night he did it AGAIN! Was up at 3.30, talking to himself until 4.30. Then started to cry, gave him paci, was quiet until 4.50. Then he wanted to eat so fed him. Then quiet until 5.30, got up at 6.30. What could be causing this? Is it a developmental thing? He will be 5 months in 2 days. Naps were 1 h straight and 2.5 hour with a lot of interruptions.

Scotty woke up every night talking to himself for one hour. He did that until he was a year old and I miss it :( He sounded so happy and would go to sleep on his own. Now he falls asleep screaming and overtired and wakes up screaming and overtired with SA and teething 8 molars...

The waking up and talkins fine, but the dependancy on you to go back to sleep isn't... It would be maybe good to teach him independant sleep a bit more, putting him into bed a wee bit more awake than usual and staying with him but not helping? If he prefers you to go out the room that would be even better unless he is in real distress. A bit of fussing and whining isn't calling for you, screaming is though, then he needs you to calm him down again... and again...

Offline marijke

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • tibe
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 11:38:14 am »
He can fall asleep fine without me, I always put him in bed awake and then he falls asleep. It's when he wakes up when he needs me (or his paci I think... but reflux babies have benefit from it as saliva reduces the acid so I'm afraid to wean him from it cause maybe then he will be in more pain again and it's finally a bit better now). I must say the last few nights have been better, 1 nightfeed (at 1.30 - 2.30) and going back to sleep but still wakes up quite early (4.30 this morning), talks to himself and eventually starts to cry. But I can deal with this, at least I get some sleep!