Author Topic: Haircut advice for my 6.5 month old  (Read 1658 times)

Offline owensmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 06, 2007, 17:51:44 pm »
Our ds is 6.5 months old and was born with a full head of beautiful red hair.  It grew quickly and I thought it might curl but it appears that its still poker straight and will soon be falling in his eyes - it already spills down his neck - it's quick cute actually!

Do I bite the bullet and try cutting his hair myself (I have no experience with this) or do I take him to a kid friendly salon?  There is a children's hairstylist in town but I don't know how they would keep a 6.5 month old still long enought to cut his hair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline sue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
Re: Haircut advice for my 6.5 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 17:57:45 pm »
Sorry, no advice here, but I just wanted to say I'd LOVE to see a picture of him with all that red hair!  I wish dd's hair was that long!  She's the same age as Owen and although she has a pretty good amount of hair, she still has a few bald patches from "wear" and is no where near here first haircut. ;D
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 23:39:45 pm »
Stylists are very good at this, I bet if you went to the salon they would have a suggestion.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 01:31:25 am »
I would call the salon before you went there, I took my dd to a kid friendly salon when she was just around a year and they were great.  You could call before hand and ask about his age, if they have any suggestions for a smoother haircut, things like that.  Personally I wouldn't cut my dd's hair, the thought of going near her with scissors scares me a bit too much - I watched the stylist cut her hair and she was so good with knowing when to pull the scissors away.

Offline owensmommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 16:42:04 pm »
I've uploaded a pic into my profile so it will appear with my postings.  He's a total cutie!  I'm going to call a local stylist and will be sure to post back with our experience so others can benefit from this first!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline sue

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 02:36:36 am »
OMG, what a cutie!!  He is absolutely adorable!  Thank you for posting his picture!  I think I'm gonna have to play match-maker and show this picture to Evie. ;) :)
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006

Offline Niki&Isaac

• A Brit, but live in Germany
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Amber Angel/Textbook Isaac Textbook/Grumpy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 13:28:39 pm »
Hi, I'm a hairstylist... 
Have you thought about popping to the salon you mentioned and introducing him to the stylist (maybe even a few times) so that they - and the surroundings are familiar? Salons can be weird places to LO's, they smell and noisy, also we teach them from early on that scissors are dangerous and not to touch that it may be scary having someone come at you with them.  I used to have kids that loved having their hair cut, so don't presume he'll hate it, just ease him into it. HTH xx (Good luck!!)

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Offline k3lly

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Holy cow, 2 under 2!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:32:54 pm »
Hi - been cutting DS hair since he was 2 weeks old :-) he has a lot of it too - get him when he's sleepy and have help to hand so that someone else can hold him steady while you cut. Or put him in his highchair with a very interesting toy. Use blunt ended scissors, go slowly, and don't try to do too much unless you're a pro at this...for us it's just a way to tidy him up.  I can't face paying london prices for a baby haircut every 2 weeks!!