Author Topic: Screaming for us if we leave the room? at 27 months?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline dmills

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Screaming for us if we leave the room? at 27 months?
« on: January 08, 2007, 17:03:10 pm »
Okay, our ds has been going through a lot of transitions the past two months.  We are expecting number two in 5 weeks, so ds moved out of crib, into a big boy bed, upstairs, and a few weeks later we weaned him off the paci.  He was just using it for sleep.  Well, not sure if that is part of the problem, but he seems to want us to PLAY with him all the time..."BUILD a CASTLE MOMMY, PLAY CARS MOMMY, etc...  If you don't right then or if you leave the room while playing he yells for you or flops to the floor.  He use to be able to occupy himself for short periods of time.  Even if we stay in the room and move off the floor, he will tell you to sit on the floor and build, etc...  How should we handle this?  I am at my wits end?  Should we let him fuss or what?  I am so confused.  I do teach, so I am gone during the day.  He is at a home daycare with his cousin and a few other children.  HELP!!!  I don't know what to do and don't want to scar him for life.  I will also hesitantly add that my husband let him CIO in the middle of the night about the 5th night of paci weaning.  :(
dmills

Wilsmon

Re: Screaming for us if we leave the room? at 27 months?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 17:16:32 pm »
I still think this is part of the adjustments - mostly the paci weaning.  Have you tried setting a time limit.  Get a timer and tell him you will play with him until the time is up and then it is bedtime.  After that you need to stick to your guns.  Put him to bed and leave.  If he throws a fit, give him a few min, go back and put him back in bed over and over. You may need to give this a few weeks.  Did he ever take to a new lovey?   He is definately testing the waters and if you don't stop it now it is only going to get worse.  I know it is hard, especially with the new one on the way but I think that makes it even more important to get on top of it now. 

Offline dmills

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 17:44:28 pm »
It isn't when we leave the bedroom or at bedtime...it is all day/evening when we leave the upstairs where we may have been playing with him to go downstairs to check dinner, or etc...
dmills

Wilsmon

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 17:52:02 pm »
Oh, I misunderstood.  Sorry.  It may just be a phase.  I find it is better with mine if I do the same thing though.  Tell him you can play for x number of minutes and then you need to go check on dinner or whatever.  Then make sure you do that.  I find mine get worse if I am constantly getting up and running around.  Try talking to him constantly about what you are doing and what is going to happen next.   My first was terrible about SA and clingingness for about the first 2 1/2 to 3 yrs.  I couldn't get 1 inch from her.  It was very frustrating.  With #2 it is better because he has his sister there most of the time and I think that helps.  Good news (I think), now #1 is a social bee!   

I also picked up a tip in a magazine from a working mom who said that when she got home the first thing she did was sit down with her kids for 1/2 hour (not doing anything else) and played and that seemed to satisfy them for a while. Then she would go concentrate on other things. 

HTH

Offline dmills

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 18:37:45 pm »
Thank you!  I actually give him a snack in the kitchen while I start dinner when we arrive home and then we move into the living room and play a bit while dinner is cooking. 
dmills