Author Topic: HELP! flying with 13 mnth old  (Read 1013 times)

Offline graydons mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
HELP! flying with 13 mnth old
« on: January 08, 2007, 19:59:01 pm »
I'm going to be flying to Victoria from Toronto this Friday with my ds, alone,  and am a little bit afraid of how the whole experience will go.  My 13month ds is walking and very active.  He hates to sit still for more then 2 minutes.  To top it off he will not sleep anywhere but in his crib.  I can remember him falling asleep in my arms once since he was 2 months old!  He squirms and cries as he gets tired but will not fall asleep!  The total travel time will be 6 hours (change planes in Vancouver)  Does anyone have any suggestions how to survive the trip without the use of alcohol? (I'm 6 months pregnant)  The DR suggested giving him Benadryl.  I wasn't keen on this idea but tried it out last week to see what would happen and it did absolutely nothing!!!

HELP!

Offline Mayasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: HELP! flying with 13 mnth old
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 21:58:56 pm »
Wow! I came back Friday with 9mth old and a 3yr old from India on Friday - total flying time around 12 hours. They both did exceptionally well with the flights - didn't really notice take off or landing but my 9mth dd was hard work - she has just started crawling/pulling up and was into everything - hope you have strong arm muscles!!! Seriously, I was really worried about the whole sleep thing as my dd doesn't sleep anywhere else apart from her cot but she slept around 1.5 hours in the bassinet and a lot more on me!!!

My best advice is to relax and go with the flow - it really worked for me, even if it meant that she got lots of short naps (which is what she did on the way there). For meal times - it helped if I gave her something to hold and eat herself to distract her - like bread, cheese etc. and she was a lot less fidgety this way.

I hope this is of some help. Have a great trip.
Teri, mum to Maya (17/08/2003) and Leela (29/03/2006)

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 00:34:56 am »
I would not use Benadryl.  It had the OPPOSITE effect on DS when we flew from East Coast USA to West Coast Canada.

TOTAL NIGHTMARE.  He was also very active like your DS and screamed, kicked, threw things the entire trip.  He was only 11 months and had just started walking.

When we got to Canada, the in-laws suggested "Gravol"???  I think that is how it is spelled.  You get it from the pharamacy.  That helped DS sleep on the way back home.

Good luck.
Judy

Offline graydons mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 01:28:50 am »
I've had gravol suggested to me several times.  I asked my DR about it and she said that she doesn't recommend it until 2 yrs of age.  When I asked the pharmacist he looked up in his book the weight requirements to take gravol (box only says Fromm 2 yrs) and it was 24 lbs and my ds is 26lbs so it thought it would be OK.  So I don't know what to do.  Use only in desperation?  Has anyone else used before the age of 2?

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 18:33:34 pm »
We used it with ds when he was UNDER A YEAR.  But he was also around 26-28lbs at the time.  The pharmacist we spoke to said it would be okay also.
Judy

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 18:42:41 pm »
Lots of snacks are very helpful on long trips, portable DVD player if you can buy/borrow one (or if you have a laptop with a DVD player that will work too, that's what we plan to do the next time we fly).  Some comforting toys, some new toys.  We also have a portable magna-doodle which worked quite well.  Will he have his own seat or will he be on your lap?  I found we did a bit better with dd having her own seat as she was then strapped into her car seat and didn't think she could get up and run around as easily.  If there are empty seats on the plane, the airline will usually let you have them if you are traveling with a child (I guess they figure it's easiest for everyone that way).