Author Topic: tantrums at dinner time  (Read 809 times)

Offline mrswalsh

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • First time mum to Billy
tantrums at dinner time
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:12:43 am »
My DS is 13months old and a good eater if eating finger foods by himself.  He has tried to eat with a spoon and makes a terrible mess but gets no food so I try and do this for him but he screams and won't open his mouth.  Obviously he is trying to be independent.  Should I just let him do it himself?  I am not worried about the mess, I understood that was a word that would be used constantly the instant he was born.  I am concerned that if he does it himself he won't be getting enough to eat!  Any ideas please?

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: tantrums at dinner time
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 17:12:30 pm »
Have you tried to use a spoon while he has one too?  Other things you can do is to spread veg and fruit puree on bread.  Lots of fruit and veg finger food and cheese.  Really if he is hungry he will eat so I would try not to worry althought I do know how you feel ;D

Offline geoffreyandme

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Geoffrey
Re: tantrums at dinner time
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:17:28 am »
just to let you know that you're not alone. i am struggling with that too....constantly being worried if he's eating enough because he's getting so independent. but it's true that if they are hungry they will eat! also giving him a spoon whilst he has his own works wonders too! i had forgotten about that, thank you lana! another thing to think of is the fact that once he is eating on his own more it will be a relief for you not a burden =)