Author Topic: a couple of concerns...  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Lizjjackson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
a couple of concerns...
« on: January 10, 2007, 20:52:21 pm »
Here is the background.. my daughter is 1 yo, she was breastfeed until 8 months and then formula with solids for the last 4 months.  She has always been a little on the small side and never loved to eat like I have seen with some babies.  She started to refuse eating with a spoon about 2 months ago and mostly just wants to feed herself. 

Here is the concern:  My doctor said at her 1 year visit that she is in the 3rd percentile after only gaining 10 ounces since her 9 month visit.  She weighs in at 17 lbs 10 ounces.  So the doc wants to see her in a month and pretty much said quit formula completely, do only whole milk and push solids.  Give her whatever she wants plus some.  Well, I am having some complications.  I can't make her eat, right?  She is refusing to sit in her high chair, if she sits on my lap she will eat some food but she just does not care about it.  she wants to play or is just so easily distracted.  She is drinking whole milk now.  and will take a 4-5 ounce bottle of that about 2 times a day.  She will not try new foods and it seems that we are eating pj and j sandwiches and cheese for most of our meals.  Is this a phase?  Do I need to push her more to eat more and sit in her own seat?  I am confused because it seemed that the doc was most concerned about her gaining weight, but I also don't want a baby that only eats 2-3 things.  Thanks for your help.

Offline wanderlustig

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: a couple of concerns...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 22:05:58 pm »
I'm having a similar problem. Went to see the pediatrician today for the 1 year checkup. My daughter, too, barely gained anything and the pediatrician said I have to push solids - but how do you do that?!?! She loves yogurt and cheese, but I can't just feed her that. The doctor said she's a milk baby, meaning she find getting her nutrition from the boob easier... I'm still BF her about 4x a day, morning, before each nap and before bed. My mom suggested I just BF her before bed so she's hungrier... The other thing I thought I'd try is making sure her foods are pureed super smooth - she doesn't seem to like chunky. I'd love to see what suggestions other moms have for these situations...

Offline Lizjjackson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 13:24:00 pm »
Any ideas at least on why she is not sitting in her high chair any longer?  is this her asserting her will and just fighting me or could she really just need to be in a booster seat already? 

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 13:53:20 pm »
A lot of kids don't like their high chairs at this age - but you could certainly try a booster.  What about the type of formula meant for toddlers - I think it has more nutrients than just cow's milk.  And you CAN'T force her to eat - you're right!  All you can do is keep trying.  I'd keep offering new things too - with my dd, what she hated one week, she'd love the next.  Focus on high calorie foods if you can - avocado, eggs, cheese, if she likes that sort of stuff.  PB can be quite nutritious, I think!  Try dipping sauces too - kids sometimes like that.  If she likes pasta, you can often hide small amounts of veggies or protein in that.  Does she eat better with other kids around?  (Mine did!) If so, can you arrange play dates around meal times?  What about finger foods while she's playing - snacking during the day can work well.  I used to cut up avocado and as dd played with her toys, I'd walk over and pop a piece in her mouth until she refused.  Same with banana, cheese, slices of egg, tofu (some kids love the texture).  I also found at supper that dd was more likely to try something off of my or dh's plate - she wanted to eat what we were.

Try not to stress too much - a lot of kids get fussy at different times, and most outgrow it.  If she's otherwise healthy - SOMEONE has to be in the lower percentiles, remember, or they wouldn't exist!  ;)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha