Author Topic: Swimming - Swim Ring, Swim Jacket, Arm Bands - HELP!!  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Heather's Mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Swimming - Swim Ring, Swim Jacket, Arm Bands - HELP!!
« on: January 10, 2007, 22:31:14 pm »
Hi all,
Just looking for some advice for my 20 month old.  She loves going swimming but has outgrown her trainer seat and seems to want more freedom in the pool now anyway.  Question is, what should we go for, armbands, swim ring or swim jackets?  I've seen the jackets at online stores and they look like a winner, but should Heather not go for it, it's a fair bit of money to lose.  Can anyone help?
Thanks
Lisa
 :) :)

Offline daniellechiasson

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 101
  • My two greatest loves.
Re: Swimming - Swim Ring, Swim Jacket, Arm Bands - HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 03:23:20 am »
At our local community pool they have life jackets of all sizes. Perhaps you could go public swimming, borrow one from the pool and see how she likes it.

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 16:28:21 pm »
If you are planning on letting her paddle around the pool without you holding on, then I wouldn't consider anything besides one of the life jackets that has a strap between the legs.

I used to be a lifegaurd and they warned us pretty severely about the dangers of the arm bands and swim rings--the kids can slip through them so easily and they give parents a false sense of security--it only takes a moment for your child to drown (Not trying to scare you, but it scares me when I see parents pop their non-swimmer into arm bands and then turn their back and chat with friends while their toddler swims around in the pool).

I haven't even ever used a lifejacket with dd (except when on FIL's boat) because I'm worried that she will get used to floating when she goes into the water and forget sometime when she doesn't have it on and just try to jump in to water sometime on her own.  When we swim, I am within arms distance of her at all times--I just don't want to get distracted and forget that I'm responsible for her life right then.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline esthere

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • all you need is hope trust and a little pixie dust
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 20:53:20 pm »
H uses the life jacket/swim jacket, but he does not float fully.
I still hold him, but he loves the freedom.

Offline Heather's Mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 13:46:51 pm »
Thanks for the advise folks.  We'll try and borrow a swim jacket and take it from there.