Author Topic: Climbing Toys/Activities?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Climbing Toys/Activities?
« on: January 19, 2007, 13:19:17 pm »
So my super active, strong little girl (17 months) is WAY into climbing lately. But since we don't have stairs (apartment) in our home or a backyard, it's tough. I used to take her to a playground at least once a day but it's been much too cold lately. We tend to climb the building stairs most days at least once and she's lately trying to climb into some of her toys that aren't really made for that. Any other ideas on good ways to get climbing/activity out of her system when cold outside and limited space inside? We are looking into joining a gym class but have yet to find one that works out time wise - but looking.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Re: Climbing Toys/Activities?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 14:55:59 pm »
When Tyler went through the climbing phase (well, actually he is STILL in that phase) we let him climb up and down this little step stool/ladder that we have.  However, he could ONLY use it when we were around to supervise.  When we were not around, we put it away.

Sometimes, we would even let him push it around and climb up to play in one of the drawers in the kitchen.  We just made sure all the sharp objects and anything dangerous was out of that drawer.  Measuring cups, spoons etc could all stay.

I posted a picture of the stool/ladder.  I think we bought it at Lowe's. 

HTH.
Judy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 17:25:28 pm »
Thanks Judy! Something like that might work and really need to find a good gym class too. Wish there was an indoor playground near us. Well, the Y has one from 2:30-4 on Thursdays but Marisa is usually sleeping until 2:30 or so and by the time she gets up and has a snack and we get there it would be 3:30 and almost over!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 18:50:21 pm »
Do you have Gymboree or Little Gym near you?  Tyler takes gym classes at Romp N Roll (similar to Little Gym) and LOVES IT. 

Also, they have OPEN GYM times for people to take their kids to blow off some energy!
Judy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 18:55:57 pm »
Gymboree is a bit of a walk - about 20 minutes so a bit far when it's cold out. But maybe I'll look back into it for the open gym times. I wish the Y would move their free time for their indoor playground to 3:30-5 instead of 2:30-4!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 18:59:25 pm »
Quote (selected)
I wish the Y would move their free time for their indoor playground to 3:30-5 instead of 2:30-4!

Put in a request!!! I bet you would not be the first!!!

BTW-the step stool/ladder we had was just something around the house to use for DS to climb on.  Did not want you to think we specifically went to Lowe's to purchase that for him.   :-\ :-\

Good luck! :) :) :)

Judy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 19:53:28 pm »
I did actually but no response so far. I think I may try the Gymboree class Monday morning - can pay for a trial and see how bad the walk is and if she likes it.

LOL about Lowe's!