Author Topic: shoes, socks or feet when first started walking  (Read 1456 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
shoes, socks or feet when first started walking
« on: January 19, 2007, 18:09:37 pm »
Was your LO just in her bare feet, shoes on, or socks on only when she/he first started walking?
We have wooden floors so she is in her socks a lot - which can be a little slippery.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: shoes, socks or feet when first started walking
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 18:12:41 pm »
Bare feet for sure, so she can feel the floor surface with her bare skin and get the most accurate feedback from her nerves. If socks at all, try to get the ones with the little grippies on the bottom; Target sells some with grippy rubber writing on the bottom, as does The Children's Place in the States.

Offline legend_018

• Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 18:15:14 pm »
I think some of the socks do have gripes. Well I know from walking around myself - it's winter here and we have wooden floors so it might not be a good idea as my feet get cold "brrrr"
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 18:17:35 pm »
Bare Footin' Babe here!  Mum too!  :) Started walking at 10.5 months.

Once your child begins walking, you should still try to keep them barefoot as much as possible. By letting your child go barefoot, you are encouraging her foot and leg muscles to strengthen naturally.

The only reason you should place baby shoes on your child's feet is to protect them from injury, such as rocks; hard, rough surfaces etc.. or from the cold or wet ground. Other than that, your child is much better off barefoot.

If you have to, sock feet is not too bad as keeps tootsies warm, and the grip socks are pretty good as PP mention.

Aisling x

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 18:19:19 pm »
Ps. Found this on the web:

When Do Babies Need Shoes?

By Ashley Westbrook
Most of our lives we cram our feet into tight-fitting shoes or super-high stilettos — all for the sake of fashion. But what about our babies? When should they begin wearing shoes?

“For children not yet walking, but who need protection on their feet, socks provide the best covering, but barefoot is best for children learning to walk,” says registered nurse Marsha Blackman of Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth. “They seem to learn better balance without shoes because they can grip the floor with their toes.”

“A shoe worn prior to the walking stage serves as fashion and not as function,” agrees Dr. Chris Straughn of Cook Children’s Hospital in Fort Worth. In some cases, a shoe worn during the developmental walking stage may even serve as a hindrance instead of an aid.”

But babies can’t savor the carefree, barefoot lifestyle forever; once the child has reached the stage where walking has become easier and curiosity takes them to places where foot protection is a must, it’s time to embark on your first shoe-purchasing journey. Here are a few tips:

* Make sure the shoe has a space as wide as your index finger between the end of the shoe and the child’s toes.
    * The shoe should be wide enough and flexible enough to let toes wiggle comfortably.
    * Velcro is a safer choice for first-timers over laced shoes.
    * Shoes that have a type of tread on the bottom help provide friction between the child and the ground and help create balance.

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 18:43:13 pm »
We did bare foot or socks with grips
Lauren x

Offline debo620

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 19:01:36 pm »
we have wood floors also, also hate for his little feet to get cold, especially at naps---so he wears socks and robeez all the time. he is only cruisisng though and we may opt for barefeet when he starts trying to walk, and then I guess put socks on for nap time.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline sue

• Showing Appreciation 32
  • Georgian Bay Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 19:35:50 pm »
I was going to suggest Robeez too.  We did barefoot as much as possible, but we had wood floors and it was winter when he was learning to walk so to keep his feet warm, we often had to put the Robeez on.  They have thin suede soles so they were the closest thing to barefoot without the chill.  They're also great because they are inexpensive, easy to put on and hard for baby to take off. ;)
http://www.robeez.com/en-us/productinfo/shoefeatures.htm?PriceCat=1&Lang=EN-US&RefID=5064
Mommy to
Noah Vincent born Nov 15th 2002
Evelyn Ada born June 16th 2006

Offline Maddysmom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 20:51:44 pm »
We used Robeez too :) :) :)
We  mostly had hardwoods where she was walking and they really gripped well. I would recomend them to anyone!    Tracey
Tracey-Mom to Madison, Noah and Avery