Author Topic: How to keep my baby awake without overstimulating!  (Read 1213 times)

Offline kwaker5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How to keep my baby awake without overstimulating!
« on: January 20, 2007, 10:26:46 am »
I think the subject says it all really.  My baby is almost 3 months and still can't stay awake as long as suggested on the 3 hour EASY. I think part of the problem is that he feeds really fast (always in around 15 minutes) and then will go about 45 mins afterwards at most.  Often this means he wakes before he is hungry.  Is it really a problem to have an EASYA-EASYA- routine? 

He also sometimes cries inconsolably if he wakes early during a nap and can't resettle.  This crying often lasts until the next feed and after that he's back to his usual self!

Offline RegMum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: How to keep my baby awake without overstimulating!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:34:34 pm »
One trick I use with my 3.5M DD for the first awake time of the day is: After feeding her, letting her have some sit up time, and play time (usually she starts yawning by 30min up, and she would be quite happy to go back to bed after 1hr including feeding time) I lie her down on a folded towel in the bathroom while I take a shower, get dressed, brush my teeth etc.  The sound of the shower keeps her pretty calm, I leave the lights off so she isn't staring right at them, and I talk to her if she starts making her tired whining noises.   It takes me about 15 minutes, but which time she is quite tired.  I put her to bed, and it takes her about 10 minutes to go to sleep, so that puts her right on track for being up 1.5 hrs.

With regards to the short naps, there is a lot of good info in the 45 min nap discussion area.

Offline kwaker5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Thanks RegMum
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 17:03:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply and the details of the nap board.  I think he probably does need to be awake that little bit longer first thing (but not wired!) so that he naps properly.