Author Topic: 22 month old won't eat!  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Mae & Kate's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
22 month old won't eat!
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:13:04 am »
I am about to loose it! I've tried making healthy breads, muffins, snacks.....but my 22 month old DD won't eat anything recently. She used to eat pasta, tomatoes, yogurt with tofu and lots of fruit, but recently she won't eat a thing!  (She has never eated meat of any kind of anything with texture! but I was satisfied with her diet....) So I have said no dinner, no milk.....before bed. I think she should be old enough to understand this so last night we put her to bed without any milk. Do you think this is a good idea....she doesn't snack in the day, if she does it is fruit or berries....any advice on eating? Should I just let her go and if she is hungry she will eat...easy to say that but I wonder how she is functioning! help! Is this normal? ???
Bonnie

binxyboo

Re: 22 month old won't eat!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 16:43:19 pm »
Is she literally not eating anything? Do you think she may be getting her 2 year molars?

Offline Mae & Kate's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 23:02:22 pm »
yes, she has two bottom molars now, one came through last week or so. She does eat yogurt and some fruit. She likes beans too. I think we will just prepare her dinner and if she doesn't eat it I won't worry...I guess she would eat if she was hungry, but what is she living on I wonder....
Bonnie

Offline Debprins

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • And now there are two...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 07:46:14 am »
I Don't have any answers but I thought I would listen in s it sounds like you are describing my daughter (21 months) any thing that has a hint of meat or texture is a nono. We eat fruit normally by the bucket loads but thats it. Im beginning to think she is a frutarian! she hasn't eaten anything but sultanas for 2 days, how ever she has had soy milk as usual.

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 13:12:19 pm »
My DS (18 months) is a fantastic eater and will usually eat anything we offer him.

He is also going through a phase now where he won't eat.  You cannot force them, and if he does not eat his lunch / dinner we just take it away until his next meal or milk etc.

I definitely think it has to do with teeth, as when DS was cutting his 1 year molars he was exactly like this, and I can feel lumps in the back of his mouth where his 2 year ones are due to come through, he is also cutting the last of his Eye teeth which seems to be taking ages.

I would not worry too much about it, you could alway offer her something a few hours later to see if this would help.  Have you tried freezing any fruit and trying that, it could be that perhaps her mouth is really sore, and the frozen fruit might help ease her gums.

You would be amazed at how little food can keep them going.  My DS once slept through the night only eating a banana, and then made up for it a few days later.

I know it is hard not to worry, but she will eat when she is hungry.  Just keep on offering her something every few hours.

Hugs, please keep us posted on how you get on.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:45:50 am »
What is it with kids and textures?  My 18 mos. old son also HATES meat and texture.  We have a time getting him to eat.  I think sometimes he hates food.  To make matters worse here, he cannot have milk or soy...

I agree though, I think it is the teeth and I would not worry to much about it.  AS little as my son eats, he seems to be growing (some how)....

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:47:41 am »
Agree with others that it could be teeth.

Or some type of illness?  Sore Throat?  Stomach Bug.

That is usually the first sigh that DS is coming down with something.

I hope not for your sake!!!
Judy

Offline Swirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 12:56:01 pm »
Hi Ladies,
My son is 23 months and he has never been a fan of textured food. If I made him pasta with tomatoe sauce every day .... he would eat it!!! He demands for pasta at lunch and dinner. Sure I can make a variety of things with pasta and sneak lots of vegetables BUT if he gets chicken or anything else that is slightly textured...he spits it out. I guess the most frustrating thing with Anthony is that he won't even TRY THINGS!!! AHHHHHH... anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that you are not alone. He used to try things but now is get so picky. I have decided not to make alternative meals... whatever I make he needs to eat or doesn't!!! If he asks for snacks...crackers,cookies, yogurt..etc... I simply say no not until you eat your dinner. Unfortunately, he has never caved in but either have I.
Take care,
Diana :) ???

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 19:55:02 pm »
Hugs Diana,

Our DS can have his picky days too.  But I also stick to my guns and don't give him anything else - it is hard, but they will soon learn to eat it.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007