Author Topic: Can`t keep food down for 4 days - being sick  (Read 3288 times)

Offline *Julie*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • We are in England,Suffolk
Can`t keep food down for 4 days - being sick
« on: January 22, 2007, 14:36:18 pm »
  I`m so worried  :'(
 DD Sasha has been poorly since Friday when she was sick in the car.
 Sat and Sun we tried to "starve the bug" by giving her very little. As soon as she ate she`s complain she was hot and was sick soon after.
 Then she went without food all day and had a tiny bit in the evening only to be sick at 1am. Then all day without food and a small amount in the evening again, and was sick at 8am.
  I rang NHS direct and they said to give her normal foods little and often. They said the bug was gone cos there was no temperature anymore but she couldn`t keep food down because it was prob too much for her tummy.
  So we gave her some cornflakes (tiny amount) and half a banana for breakfast, which she brought up at 2pm  :'(
  She is so hungry and wants to eat everything... It`s heartbreaking.  Just had some lunch and I`m worried.
  I haven`t taken her to Dr`s because as long as she keeps fluids down they don`t want to know. Wait and see is prob the advice but it doesn`t seem to get any better.

If anyone can help please share... ???

Offline mcruari

• Showing Appreciation 361
  • Turin, Italy (but Irish at heart)
Re: Can`t keep food down for 4 days - being sick
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 14:50:38 pm »
Poor little thing :(

Go with the B.R.A.T. diet. It is the best thing when they are sick. Start off by giving her some coke or flat lemonade - that seems to settle the stomach. Only give in tiny amounts but often.

I think as long as they do enough wee-wee, all is well.

HTH and keep us informed :-*
Sinéad

Offline mum2isabella

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 15:30:19 pm »
My dd (21 mths) had this over Xmas. The advice of the pediatrition was to continue feeding as normal and as long as she's not vomiting immediately after eating then not to worry. Also press your finger on her forehead and if the skin springs back then she's not dangerously dehydrated. My dd ate a lot of eggs and bananas when she had this - interestingly the eggs seemed to stay down, but the bananas came back up!!! It lasted 3 weeks and we all caught it - viral gastroenteritis :-[
Isabella Grace born 17th April 2005 - spirited
Samuel Oliver born 22nd July 2006 - textbook/touchy

Offline *Julie*

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • We are in England,Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 17:44:26 pm »
 Thank you for reassurance Sinead and Mum2isabella,
 I knew that as long as they weren`t dehydrated it wasn`t the end of the world, I just hadn`t heard for it to go on that long!
 Since Friday she`s been sick every night :-X and sometimes in the day, but she`s drinking ok.
 She also did a poo today so that means SOME food stayed down at least...
 Thank you again, I feel so much better now.
 (When all this puke business is over I know the washing mashine will be pleased too  :-X :-X :-X)